Several weeks into fall camp, head coach Mark Dantonio had a question for his team. “How many of you were alive in 1988?”
As fans were ushered down the steps and out the exit of Lucas Oil Stadium into a chilly Indianapolis night, Denicos Allen witnessed something he’d never seen before. Max Bullough was there, too — he remembers it well. The then-sophomore linebackers were forced to watch several members of the 2011 Spartans, a band of brothers toward the end of a special season, break down in tears.
Staring down a dream, it’s important to note Urban Meyer has been here before. Several times, in fact.
“Why not us?” That is indeed the question following Mark Dantonio’s weekly press conference with the media yesterday afternoon. With only a few days before the No. 10 Spartans (11-1 overall, 8-0 Big Ten) travel to Indianapolis for a date with No. 2 Ohio State (12-0, 8-0) in the Big Ten Championship Game, the MSU head coach briefly entertained a scenario that would send the Spartans to Pasadena — not for the Rose Bowl, but for the BCS National Championship Game.
Things are looking pretty rosy for Mark Dantonio these days.
- Saban: 'I've got a little sex appeal' for both teams in Big Ten Championship Game
- Run for the roses: Big Ten Championship Game predictions
- State News reporters revisit preseason predictions
- Andrew Maxwell's brother displeased over lack of playing time Saturday
- State News football reporters predict MSU victory over Minnesota on Senior Day
- EMU's English fired for 'inappropriate language'
- Nike hype video shows off MSU football jerseys, win over U-M
- Raw footage relives glory of 1988 Rose Bowl
- Cliff Alexander coming for unofficial visit this weekend
- State News reporters predict MSU victory against Iowa
- Three takeaways from MSU's loss to ND
- Lucious: 'I was smoking a lot of weed at Michigan State'
- 6 takes from MSU's defense-heavy win over USF
- Connor Cook named MSU's starting quarterback against South Florida
- Spartan Heisman? On defense? Well, maybe.
- Gary Harris out 4-8 weeks
- Kurtis Drummond turns heads with lateral pass touchdown, one-handed interception
- Too soon?: Predictions for every MSU game in 2013
- What will MSU do? 2 predictions on the Spartans' quarterback race
- Fake mannequin scares Dantonio, Maxwell, other Spartans