Sunday, October 6, 2024

Disc golf club looking to bring sport back to university scene

<p>Civil engineering junior Drake Veitenheimer attempts to get the frisbee into a hole Saturday at the Agricultural Exposition site off East Crescent Road during a fundraiser for the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Disc Golf Club. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Civil engineering junior Drake Veitenheimer attempts to get the frisbee into a hole Saturday at the Agricultural Exposition site off East Crescent Road during a fundraiser for the MSU Disc Golf Club. Justin Wan/The State News

When students Nate Ross and Ziggy Bierekoven brought back the previously inactive MSU Disc Golf Club in October, the idea was to reintroduce a sport that hadn’t had a presence on MSU’s campus for several years.

Yesterday, the club hosted a fundraising disc golf tournament MSU’s disc golf course at Farm Lane and Mt. Hope Road.

The idea behind the fundraiser not only was to raise funds for the club, but to put the club back on the map.

“Here at MSU, they used to have a club, but it disbanded a few years ago,” Ross, an applied engineering sciences sophomore and vice president of the club said. “This year, we got together with a few people and decided to start another one and get the course back, so it’s been a good year.”

The club is responsible for the upkeep of the course.

Currently, the course has 15 baskets, so part of the fundraiser’s goal was to raise enough money to buy three more baskets.

Disc golf follows many of the same rules of golf. However, on MSU’s disc golf course, every basket is a par three, meaning reaching the basket in three throws is par and reaching the basket in two is a birdie.

“Baskets can be up to $300 each, so for three (more) we would need $900 dollars,” Ross said.
The tournament included three divisions — members, non-members and an open division that played for money.

More than 20 people made it to the tournament, and Ross deemed it a successful outing.

“We had a lot of non-members come out and a lot of members as well,” he said, adding he was pleased with the level of participation from those at the event.

Club member and psychology junior Steven King said his performance was less than par.

However, when playing with the group, he said performance isn’t everything.

“It’s not just about playing, competing, which is a big part of it,” King said. “It’s also hanging out with another group of people.”

Club member and mechanical engineering freshman Jeremy Reisig organized the event. He said disc golf provides a different sort of challenge.

“People see it as just throwing frisbees, but there’s a lot of variety to it,” Reisig said. “A lot of variety in the shots and the different holes you see, so the variety of the things you see around Michigan and the things you see in the sport bring people back to it.”

Share and discuss “Disc golf club looking to bring sport back to university scene” on social media.