'A roller coaster:' MSU students discuss season 2 of 'Euphoria'

<p>Illustration of &quot;Euphoria&quot; poster. Students share their thoughts on what has been a crazy season for Euphoria.</p>

Illustration of "Euphoria" poster. Students share their thoughts on what has been a crazy season for Euphoria.

Photo by Madison Echlin | The State News

This article contains spoilers. 

For the last eight weeks, Sunday had been unofficially declared as “Euphoria Day.” 

Each week, creative advertising senior Rena Boyd gathered with a group of her friends to watch the new episode of "Euphoria," treating it like a celebration. The weeklong anticipation between each episode only fueled their excitement and anxiousness.  

“We were all very anxious before each episode, and especially this last one,” Boyd said. “There were tears, there was laughing, it was just a roller coaster.”

On Sunday, Feb. 27, the season finale aired, wrapping up the show’s second season

“Euphoria's” online community grew rapidly with the new season. Twitter reported that it is the most-tweeted-about TV show of the decade thus far. 

“My whole ‘For You’ page and Twitter timeline feed is just Euphoria, Euphoria, Euphoria,” Boyd said. “It was just really crazy to watch and see on social media, people's reactions.”

Computer engineering sophomore Camdyn Reiss said she also noticed the growing discourse and community surrounding the show on social media.

“As soon as the episode finished, I went straight to Twitter,” Reiss said. “It was blowing up and everything under trending was something ‘Euphoria’ related.”

Despite the show’s growing popularity, the second season left some disappointed. 

“I think there wasn't a lot of great character development for some important characters like Kat and Jules,” Boyd said. “I would have liked to see more in-depth, their perspective and just see them grow as characters.”

Civil engineering sophomore Malia Evans said she thinks the plot points, character developments and overall messaging of the second season were poorly done, but she was especially disappointed in Kat’s character development. 

“It's kind of annoying when you have such a big character in the first season,” Evans said. “And then just kind of ignore them in the second season.”

Reiss was also disappointed in Kat’s storyline and said her behavior felt out of character compared to the first season.

“I don't like how they basically threw Kat’s character in the garbage,” Reiss said. “She could have had a cool development story with or without Ethan.”

“Euphoria” has been renewed for a third season, but after the two-year-long gap between the first two seasons, fans are prepared for a long wait. 

“(The wait) doesn’t shock me, especially with all the actors becoming so prominent in other stuff,” Evans said. “They're all getting big names for themselves, so I can see how it would be harder to film.”

But when the “Euphoria” does make its return, fans have expectations for the third season. Reiss said she hopes the third season portrays the actors as a bit older. 

“I’m predicting that it will take place a little bit in the future,” Reiss said. “Maybe when they're more adult and maybe in college. It will be really cool to see all these characters, what happens to them and how they mature.”

Others just want the show to tie up the loose ends that season two left behind.  

“I hope the writer gets the message that there's so much unfinished that everyone wants to know about,” Evans said. “I hope, in season three, they wrap up a lot of the different ends that they've started.”

Share and discuss “'A roller coaster:' MSU students discuss season 2 of 'Euphoria'” on social media.