Former Spartan wideout Bennie Fowler publishes book on success

<p>Senior wide receiver Bennie Fowler gets wrapped up by Michigan defensive back Raymon Taylor during the game against Michigan on Nov. 2, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 29-6. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Senior wide receiver Bennie Fowler gets wrapped up by Michigan defensive back Raymon Taylor during the game against Michigan on Nov. 2, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 29-6. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

Former Michigan State wide receiver and current NFL player Bennie Fowler III released his first book last month, titled “Silver Spoon: The Imperfect Guide to Success.” 

The book is nine chapters long and details stories from Fowler’s life, along with others.

To help tell his story, Fowler brought in some other professional athletes and teammates such as Draymond Green, Julius Thomas, DeMarcus Ware and others. Fowler said it was a lot of fun working with them on the book and that they were very receptive to the idea of helping out.

Fowler stressed that you do not have to be an athlete to take lessons out of his book. “I want people to understand that success is within them,” said Fowler. “This book is for everybody.”

The book is dedicated to Fowler’s younger brother, Chris. “Chris is my hero. He is the definition of commitment,” said Fowler in the book. 

The front cover of the book is a self-portrait of Fowler, which he says was inspired by the late Kobe Bryant’s book, "The Mamba Mentality."

Fowler said he started working on the book in October of 2018 with the help of a publishing company called Scribe. 

Fowler played four seasons for the Spartans from 2010 to 2013. He then entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2014 as a member of the Denver Broncos. In 2015, Fowler earned a Super Bowl ring as the Broncos defeated the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50. In that game, Fowler caught a two-point conversion late in the fourth quarter from Peyton Manning to give them a 14-point lead.

Since then, Fowler has bounced around the league having some short-tenures with a handful of teams. Fowler most recently played for the New York Giants last year where he was signed and released twice. 

Fans will have two opportunities to meet Fowler to get their books signed sand take pictures in the coming week. The first opportunity will be on Feb. 14 at the Spartan Bookstore from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. The second opportunity will be on Feb. 15 at the Student Book Store on Grand River Avenue from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Former Spartan wideout Bennie Fowler publishes book on success” on social media.