Q&A with Super Bowl-winning Spartan Bennie Fowler

Former MSU and current Denver Broncos wide receiver Bennie Fowler poses for a portrait on Feb. 19, 2016 inside the Skandarlis Football Building.  Fowler caught a 2-point conversion pass from Payton Manning in the Super Bowl.
Former MSU and current Denver Broncos wide receiver Bennie Fowler poses for a portrait on Feb. 19, 2016 inside the Skandarlis Football Building. Fowler caught a 2-point conversion pass from Payton Manning in the Super Bowl. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

After going undrafted, Fowler found a home in Denver and his hard work and improvement led to a spot on the practice squad for the Broncos. In 2015, Fowler was rewarded again with a roster spot. This past season, he played in 16 games for Denver, hauling in 16 receptions for 203 yards.

The postseason gave Fowler a chance to showcase his talents in front of a national audience. Though he only caught two passes for 35 yards, he had a crucial two-point conversion in the Super Bowl.

The 24-year-old wide receiver will be entering his second season in Denver, and with his determination and work ethic, he looks to be in line for a boost in playing time. Fowler met with The State News this past week for a Q&A session.

Bennie Fowler: It feels amazing. Just to achieve playing in Super Bowl 50 alone and then winning the game, it’s an incredible feeling. Everything that happened at (MSU), winning the Rose Bowl and this was a similar feeling.

BF: It was great. I actually met Peyton when I was younger, and for him to be a teammate of mine now is kind of a surreal feeling with how great he is. (He’s) one of the greatest minds the game has ever seen, one of the greatest players the game has ever seen. Kirk (Cousins) had similar characteristics like Peyton, and Connor (Cook) did as well.

BF: I have a great relationship with Brock. We were both basically “twos,” as we call it, so we had a lot of reps in practice and the preseason together. I have a great relationship with him on and off the field. He’s a great guy.

BF: It’s very close. We are a tight-knit group, basically what we had at (MSU). You know, it’s like playing football with your brothers, and you see them everyday and enjoy conversation, so it’s a lot of fun.

"The way we approached meetings and film with coach D — you know he runs a tight ship — it’s like playing for a pro team."

BF: The way we approached meetings and film with coach D — you know he runs a tight ship — it’s like playing for a pro team. And now that I’m in the pros, I can see the similarities in the way he runs meetings. Coach Sam with the way you can attack a defensive back’s technique, reading coverage on the run. I appreciate those guys a lot.

SN: What did you think about Aaron Burbridge’s season and how do you think he will do in the NFL?

BF: I think Burbridge is going to be a great NFL receiver. Great hands, great body control and I know he’s ready for the next level. The progression that he had throughout his whole career at (MSU), he got better every single year, and him winning Big Ten Receiver of the Year this year is just a reflection of all his hard work.

BF: I expect them to come in and make an impact. I actually saw those guys throw routes last week when I was up there. I’m very impressed with how young those guys are and they both got size and speed, so I’m excited for what they are going to bring to MSU football in the future.

BF: I decided to go to Denver because I wanted the opportunity to play with Peyton and they had some great receivers. ... I got put on practice squad and pretty much learned from Demaryius (Thomas) and Emmanuel (Sanders), and used my practice like games. Going against great corners like Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr., that really enhanced my game. I was able to take that into the preseason and show how much I improved and that I could impact or help this team.

BF: I would say something that Coach (Ken) Mannie always says, and it’s in the Michigan State locker room and the hallways is that the jersey is earned and never given. If you take that mentality every day that you got to go out there and earn it, they will be fine. We are always taught at Michigan State discipline and to work hard and good things will come, and that’s basically what happened to me.

Share and discuss “Q&A with Super Bowl-winning Spartan Bennie Fowler” on social media.