Your guide to health services on campus

<p>A student walks into Olin Health Center on Oct. 23, 2017.</p>

A student walks into Olin Health Center on Oct. 23, 2017.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Now that you're about to live on campus, you're probably wondering what happens when you get sick. Let us introduce you to the health services available to you at Michigan State.

Michigan State Student Health Services at Olin Health Center offers several different health services to students year-round. The physical health department is located on the first and second floors, and the mental health department, Counseling & Psychiatric Services, is located on the third floor.

In addition to the Olin Health Center, there are also four neighborhood clinics in Brody Neighborhood, East Neighborhood, River Trail Neighborhood and South Neighborhood.

The hours for each of these locations are below:

Olin Health Center

Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Brody Neighborhood

Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Closed on Fridays.

River Trail Neighborhood

Monday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Closed on Fridays.

East Neighborhood

Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

South Neighborhood

How to set up an appointment

Students can make appointments by directly calling or by walking into Olin Health Center to talk to an assistant. They can make an appointment at Olin Health Center, or with the neighborhood clinics that are located near them.

MSU students have three free visits at Olin Health Center per school year, but this does not include laboratory tests, prescriptions, X-rays, physical therapy, surgical procedures or medical supplies.

Each student also has three free psychiatric visits during their time at MSU.

“I really encourage students to take advantage of those three ‘no charge’ visits when they are feeling ill with a cold, flu, or whatever," Mitchell Smith, a professional aide at MSU Student Health Services, said."Come in and get looked at it so that they can get well and succeed in their classes."

Smith said he recommends students always bring their insurance card with them to their visit to any of the centers.

The services Olin offers

Olin offers many services, including routine immunization, tuberculosis skin testing, blood typing and titer testing. All services should be by appointment. Olin suggest students arrive at least ten minutes prior to their appointment to complete the paperwork, and to bring health or vaccination records.

The MSU Travel Clinic also offers travel-related immunizations, such as polio, shingles, chicken pox and yellow fever.

The neighborhood clinics provide services, including flu shots, STI Testing, primary care for minor illnesses and injuries, women’s health exams and annual check-ups.

Olin also has its own pharmacy on the first floor of the building.

Students can have prescriptions delivered to the front desk of their dorm for free.

Local Urgent Care Clinics

There are also several urgent care clinics located near campus.

• Sparrow Urgent Care at 2682 E. Grand River Ave.
  • RediCare, Okemos Urgent Care at 1881 W. Grand River Ave.
  • Emergicenter at 1540 W. Lake Lansing Rd.
  • Emergency and after hour care

Olin has a 24-hour phone information nurse service, which is staffed by registered nurses who can help answer health-related questions and resolve emergencies.

There is a 24-hour crisis hotline at (517) 355-2780, a 24/7 suicide and mental health support line at 1 (800) 273-8255 or by texting START to 741-741 and a 24-hour sexual assault crisis line at (517) 372-6666.

You can check Olin's website for more health-related information.

Share and discuss “Your guide to health services on campus” on social media.