Week in review: Engler resigns, Udpa appointed, Perles’ debt cleared

Newly appointed MSU interim president Satish Udpa greets people during a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 13, 2019 at the Hannah Administration Building.
Newly appointed MSU interim president Satish Udpa greets people during a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 13, 2019 at the Hannah Administration Building. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

A lot happened last week. Here's a round-up of news you may have missed.

Jan. 13: U-M fires gymnastics coach linked to Nassar shortly after hiring her

Rhonda Faehn, a former USA gymnastics employee, was hired and fired within the space of a week by the University of Michigan.

Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman said she told Faehn of her abuse in “graphic detail” in 2015, and Faehn failed to report her abuse to law enforcement. Faehn’s hiring caused an immediate and swift backlash, and U-M fired her Jan. 13.

Jan. 15: Michigan State student killed in moped crash on campus

An MSU student driving a moped was killed Tuesday morning after a crash involving a salt truck. 

The student’s name has not yet been released.

Jan. 16: 

'Sweeping changes' to MSU admissions as applications decrease

Enrollments were up, but applications and admissions were down.

The freshman class was the largest and most diverse ever, but the director of admissions was dismissed.

Sweeping changes are being made to MSU’s Office of Admissions and Academic Orientation Program.

Interim president John Engler resigns

After another bout with controversy, MSU Interim President John Engler submitted his letter of resignation to MSU Board of Trustees Chair Dianne Byrum Wednesday evening.

Byrum informed Engler five members of the board had requested his resignation prior to an emergency meeting Thursday morning, according to Engler’s letter.

Jan. 17: 

Satish Udpa appointed to replace Engler as interim president

The board accepted Engler’s resignation effective immediately, appointing then-MSU Executive VP for Administrative Services Satish Udpa as his replacement. 

Udpa is a former dean of the MSU College of Engineering, and his appointment was received positively both by the trustees and by the community.

AG Dana Nessel wants to interview John Engler for MSU investigation

New Attorney General Dana Nessel — after being briefed about the MSU investigation — requested that the team interview John Engler prior to his resignation.

MSU confirmed they received an interview request and have notified Engler.

Meet the man who broke barriers alongside MLK at Michigan State

Robert Green was not only the first black faculty member at James Madison College. He also survived as one of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s top lieutenants, fighting for civil rights and racial justice.

This is his story.

Jan. 20: 

After Perles’ resignation, MSU zeroes out his debts

Following his resignation from the MSU Board of Trustees, George Perles had a $200,000 debt forgiven by MSU, the Detroit Free Press reported Sunday. The debt was the remainder of a $500,000 gift pledge by Perles.

Perles resigned suddenly in late November, citing health concerns from his Parkinson’s disease among the reasons he stepped down. However, the Free Press reports Perles’ departure — timed before Gretchen Whitmer took office as governor — was the result of planning by pro-Engler members of the MSU Board of Trustees.

Detroit Women's March calls for inclusivity and change

As women’s marches took place across the country, marches were held at MSU and in Detroit

Share and discuss “ Week in review: Engler resigns, Udpa appointed, Perles’ debt cleared” on social media.