Activists, survivors attend board meeting, react to Engler resignation

Kaylee Lorincz smiles and claps during a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 13, 2019 at the Hannah Administration Building after announcing the  Satish Udpa was named the new interim president. "I felt like I could finally take that sigh of relief I was waiting for," said Lorincz.
Kaylee Lorincz smiles and claps during a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 13, 2019 at the Hannah Administration Building after announcing the Satish Udpa was named the new interim president. "I felt like I could finally take that sigh of relief I was waiting for," said Lorincz.

Less than a day after former Interim President John Engler submitted his resignation letter to the MSU Board of Trustees, community members gathered in the Hannah Administration Building for another board meeting.

For several members of the public, this meeting was different. Engler's tenure as interim president had been marked with controversies that caused public outcry. Outrage stemming from him telling The Detroit News Editorial Board that Nassar survivors were "enjoying" attention was what ultimately led to the end of his time at MSU. 

Attendees of the Jan. 17 board meeting discussed how the university could begin a new healing process in the wake of his departure and how they're navigating former Dean Satish Udpa's appointment to interim president. 

Kaylee Lorincz, a Nassar survivor who’s had notable interactions with Engler, was present at the meeting.

At a board meeting last spring, Lorincz was told by Engler to “be careful” when she alleged he had offered to settle her civil lawsuit with the university without her attorney present. Members of Engler’s special counsel later said in emails that Lorincz’s claim — in which she said Engler, in a private meeting, offered her $250,000 to settle — was “false news.” 

Lorincz echoed what she’s said in public comment sessions of previous board meetings — that Engler’s departure would be necessary to maintaining the university's integrity. 

“It definitely should have came sooner than today,” Lorincz said. “Right now, we need to look in the moment right now and be so thankful for this move.”

Lorincz said she’s hopeful in Udpa's ability to handle taking over the position from Engler. She also thinks the new members of the board itself have the opportunity to move the university forward.

“I think that this university can definitely move forward with the leadership they have right now,” Lorincz said. “I’m excited for the new interim president and ... I’ve heard how great of a person he is and I’m super excited to see what he can do.” 

Comparative Cultures and Politics junior Natalie Rogers, a member of Reclaim MSU, said she was excited that Engler is leaving the role. She said his departure should have happened sooner.

“It’s upsetting that it took so long,” Rogers said. “I would agree with Trustee Tebay’s sentiments that the ship is started to get righted today.”

Engler was interim president for just under a year — appointed to the position Jan. 31, 2018. Rogers said Udpa taking Engler’s place as interim president felt like the beginning of “a new era.”

“I think he’s very promising and based on the sentiment that all the trustees expressed about him, and the faculty liaisons expressed it, I think he’s a good fit for the interim,” Rogers said. “Someone with empathy is really important to have in this position.”

James Madison professor Andaluna Borcila, also a member of Reclaim MSU, said it’s up to members of the MSU community to keep pushing for board members to listen to them. Pushing for Engler to be removed, Borcila said, was part of that.

“We have an obligation to not let that happen (again),” Borcila said, referring to Engler’s confirmation as interim president last winter. “We have an obligation to continue to push for change.”

She said she wants the Board of Trustees — composed much differently now than the one in place last year — needs to continue to listen to those talking to them. 

“I think that everybody who’s been speaking up has made a difference,” Borcila said. 

Share and discuss “Activists, survivors attend board meeting, react to Engler resignation” on social media.