AG Dana Nessel wants to interview John Engler for MSU investigation

Dana Nessel enters Wells Hall on Oct. 22, 2018 for a meeting with MSU College Democrats. Nessel is running for Michigan attorney general in the upcoming election.
Dana Nessel enters Wells Hall on Oct. 22, 2018 for a meeting with MSU College Democrats. Nessel is running for Michigan attorney general in the upcoming election. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Attorney General Dana Nessel has directed the Michigan State investigation team to interview former interim president John Engler, a spokeswoman for Nessel’s office said.

Michigan State's legal team received an interview request while Engler was still president earlier this week, said Kelly Rossman-McKinney, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.

"There was a briefing with the MSU investigation team earlier this week,” Rossman-McKinney said. “They briefed Attorney General Dana Nessel on the progress on the MSU investigation, and she immediately directed them to reach out to then-president John Engler to interview him as part of their investigation.”

MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant confirmed the university received the request and has notified Engler.

The Board of Trustees accepted Engler’s resignation Thursday morning, appointing Satish Udpa as his replacement. Upda is a former dean of the MSU College of Engineering.

The investigation — initiated by former attorney general Bill Schuette in January 2018 at the request of MSU and led by independent counsel William Forsyth — has charged former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon, former dean of the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel, and former Gymnastics Coach Kathie Klages.

Share and discuss “AG Dana Nessel wants to interview John Engler for MSU investigation” on social media.