MSU Board of Trustees to meet following healing fund shutdown, board changes

MSU Interim President John Engler and the Board of Trustees listen during public comment at the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 26, 2018.
MSU Interim President John Engler and the Board of Trustees listen during public comment at the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 26, 2018. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The MSU Board of Trustees will hold their final meeting of the semester on the fourth floor of the Hannah Administration Building at 8 a.m. on Friday. This is also the final meeting for Trustees Brian Breslin and Mitch Lyons, who will be replaced by recently elected Trustees Brianna Scott and Kelly Tebay in the January meeting. 

The board will not be joined by former Trustee George Perles, who recently resigned due to health issues. His replacement has yet to be appointed by Governor Rick Snyder. 

Friday's meeting also comes after members of the Board of Trustees — Trustees Brian Mosallam, Dianne Byrum and incoming Trustees Scott and Tebay — publicly disagreed with Interim President John Engler's decision to discontinue the Healing and Assistance Fund. In their statement, they wrote they "intend to bring this topic before our current and future board colleagues."

The upcoming meeting has received attention on social media, specifically by members of the university community who plan to speak during the public participation portion at the beginning. 

Reclaim MSU wrote in a tweet that they will "speak up" for the Healing and Assistance Fund and an open presidential search during the allotted time for public comment. Morgan McCaul, a survivor of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's abuse, will be speaking to the board as well. 

Signs will continue to not be permitted into the meeting, a change that was made earlier this year. Attendees who arrive with signs will be asked to leave them in the lobby until after the meeting. They can "block the view of other attendees and can become safety hazards in a crowded room," a press release said. 

During the previous Board of Trustees meeting, messages like "Believe Survivors" and "Restart the Fund" were written onto sheets and held up by protesters. 

At the upcoming meeting, the board will establish the Department of Orthopedics, make board appointments to the College of Law and approve a revised investment policy. The board will also move to plan and replace the university's student information system, according to the meeting agenda.

The meeting will also include the authorization to proceed with many on-campus construction projects, such as renovating the fourth floor of the Hannah Administration Building and a handful of residence halls. There will also be a research presentation by Andrea Amalfitano, the interim dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

For attendees, doors will open at 7:30 a.m. The next meeting will be held on Jan. 9. 

Share and discuss “MSU Board of Trustees to meet following healing fund shutdown, board changes” on social media.