Friday, June 28, 2024

Snyder Chief of Staff to meet with students on MSU board appointment

MSU Trustee George Perles speaks during the MSU Board of Trustees public meeting discussing MSU's presidential transition on Jan. 26, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)

Multiple student groups will meet with Governor Rick Snyder's Chief of Staff, Dick Posthumus, to discuss the upcoming appointment to the MSU Board of Trustees. 

The meeting will be held at the Romney Office Building in Lansing, and will consist of student representatives from the MSU College Democrats, James Madison College Conservatives, the Associated Students of MSU, or ASMSU, and Reclaim MSU.

Originally, the meeting was scheduled for tomorrow, but due to an unexpected death in Posthumus' family, the meeting was rescheduled for Monday, Dec. 17, MSU College Democrats Press Secretary Maysa said.  

Shortly after former Trustee George Perles resigned from the Board of Trustees due to health issues, the MSU College Democrats and the College Conservatives invited Snyder to campus so the university community could provide input during the appointment process. 

Earlier this semester, a lawsuit alleged Perles interfered with the investigation into ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar’s alleged rape of former MSU field hockey player Erika Davis, resulting in the complaint being dropped. Perles has denied the accusations.

“Here on campus, the student body has been heavily engaged in the politics of and the actions taken by the Board in light of the many controversies and irresponsibilities at the top of the University,” the invitation read. “After months of feeling neglected and hopeless … the Governor’s visit to campus to discuss the appointment and listen to the opinions of the students would mean the world to us.”

Initially, a statement from the Governor's office said Snyder will not seek input in the process. 

“We do not hold town halls regarding appointments," Ari Adler, Snyder’s communications director, said. "The appointments process is standardized and we will continue to follow that standard as we have for nearly eight years."

But recently, the MSU College Democrats received an email stating that Posthumus would be able to meet with students instead of the Governor, a press release from the MSU College Democrats said.  

Posthumus asked for a list of students who will be attending, therefore the meeting will not be public, Sitar said via email. Press will not be permitted at the meeting, Sitar said, but the MSU College Democrats will put out a press release afterwards. 

Members of the MSU community can provide input on what qualities they want MSU's new trustee to have through an online form. This input will be shared at the meeting. 

This also follows a resolution that was passed at the final ASMSU meeting of the semester, calling for Snyder to seek student input in the appointment process. 

The bill received some opposition, and was characterized by ASMSU Representative Sergei Kelley as partisan. Snyder is a Republican and is expected to appoint a Republican nominee to replace Perles, a Democrat.

“This is really not about politics. It doesn’t matter to me if it were Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, or a Libertarian, it really does not matter,” ASMSU Representative Uzair Bandagi said. “The bare minimum I ask as an American is that elected officials listen to their constituents. That’s just how it should be."

Snyder's appointment will join five members of the current Board of Trustees, as well as recently-elected Trustees Brianna Scott and Kelly Tebay, in January. 

Editor's Note: This story was updated on Dec. 10 at 6 p.m. to note that the meeting was rescheduled for Monday, Dec. 17.

Share and discuss “Snyder Chief of Staff to meet with students on MSU board appointment” on social media.