Radiology chairperson reinstated, review of postion started

MSU Department of Radiology Chairperson Suresh Mukherji was reinstated to his role following his suspension in February.

He was suspended amid the investigations into the handling of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

"After a thorough review, no evidence was found that Dr. Mukherji engaged in any conduct in an attempt to obstruct or interfere with ongoing investigations, cover up wrongdoing, nor did he fail to comply with university directives to maintain documents or electronic information," MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant said in a press release.

In a letter from Interim Dean of College of Osteopathic Medicine Andrea Amalfitano, he said the investigation found no wrongdoing from Mukherji.

"It is clear to me that any insinuations in the media to the contrary are not supported by the facts gathered during the investigation," Amalfitano said in the letter. "Accordingly, you are hereby reinstated in full to your position as Department Chair of Radiology.

"Nevertheless, it is also clear to me that an environment of anxiety and distrust exists for some personnel within the department. Your statements made to reassure staff and colleagues were construed far differently than your intent, which leads me to conclude that more pervasive communication and climate issues within the department may exist that are independent of any ongoing investigations." 

The Office of the Provost will review Mukherji's appointment as a department chair, and the climate of the department will be assessed by the Academic Human Resources, according to the letter.

Mukherji was reinstated in full on March 22, according to a press release from Martin Waymire.

"We all recognize the seriousness and gravity of the situation that the University is confronting, so I understand that the actions initially taken reflect what University leaders believed were prudent,” Mukherji said in the press release. "I'm pleased that following an investigation, my actions as department chair were found to be entirely and always proper and in total compliance with processes and protocols, as I have always maintained was the case. I look forward now to helping in whatever way I can with addressing the needs of the survivors of Nassar, healing our University, and making the cultural and operational improvements that are necessary to ensure this can never happen again."

Share and discuss “Radiology chairperson reinstated, review of postion started” on social media.