Three members of USA Gymnastics Board of Directors resign

<p>Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar makes his appearance on the fifth day of his sentencing on Jan. 22, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing.&nbsp;</p>

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar makes his appearance on the fifth day of his sentencing on Jan. 22, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. 

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

As criticism surrounds USA Gymnastics and its handling of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, three members of the USA Gymnastics Board of Directors executive leadership resigned from their positions, effective Sunday.

The trio was comprised of Chairman Paul Parilla, Vice Chairman Jay Binder and Treasurer Bitsy Kelley. According to a press release, the Board of Directors will identify an interim chairperson until a permanent decision is made.

“USA Gymnastics thanks Paul Parilla, Jay Binder and Bitsy Kelley for their many years of service to this organization," President and CEO of USA Gymnastics Kerry Perry said in the release. "We support their decisions to resign at this time. We believe this step will allow us to more effectively move forward in implementing change within our organization."

On Jan. 18, USA Gymnastics also terminated its agreement with its National Team Training Center, Karolyi Ranch, located in Huntsville, Texas.

“It has been my intent to terminate this agreement since I began as president and CEO in December," Perry said in a press release. "Our most important priority is our athletes, and their training environment must reflect this. We are committed to a culture that empowers and supports our athletes."

Nassar is in court this week for his sentencing in Ingham County. During the sentence hearing, survivors of abuse gave victim impact statements. Nassar previously pleaded guilty to seven first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges in Ingham County.

Perry added in the press release USA Gymnastics is relocating and "exploring alternative sites."

Share and discuss “Three members of USA Gymnastics Board of Directors resign” on social media.