Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Nassar preliminary examination hearing concludes Friday

<p>Former MSU employee Larry Nassar, left, converses with his defense attorney, Matt Newburg, during a preliminary examination conference on March 2, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. Nassar's preliminary examination was deferred to May 12, 2017.</p>

Former MSU employee Larry Nassar, left, converses with his defense attorney, Matt Newburg, during a preliminary examination conference on March 2, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. Nassar's preliminary examination was deferred to May 12, 2017.

The preliminary examination hearing for ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar will conclude Friday at the 55th District Court in Ingham County. After the final day of the preliminary examination, it will be determined whether or not Nassar will stand trial on 15 first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges. 

The preliminary examination hearing will pick up with the last testimony. The testimony will come from "Victim F."

The hearing began May 12 and continued May 26. Six women have already testified against Nassar, saying he sexually assaulted them, often numerous times, during medical appointments.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing patients and other young women with whom he came into contact. He was arrested in December 2016 on charges of possessing “at least 37,000” images of child pornography. He currently faces 15 first-degree criminal sexual assault charges in the 55th District Court in Ingham County.

All six alleged victims have testified they were minors at the time of their alleged abuse.

Common themes have also surfaced from the testimonies — Nassar, according to allegations by the women, would digitally penetrate the minors without consent, without gloves and while a parent was present in the exam room. 

The women also tended to wear loose, athletic clothing and Nassar also gave the women gifts like pins and leotards.

Follow along with the preliminary examination on Twitter and watch The State News website for additional coverage of the preliminary examination and other Nassar-related news.

Share and discuss “Nassar preliminary examination hearing concludes Friday” on social media.