Friday, May 17, 2024

Michigan First Lady announces plans for campus sexual assault workgroup

Michigan First Lady Sue Snyder announced her plans to develop a campus sexual assault workgroup Friday morning in a press release. The new initiative will create resources for campus sexual assault survivors across the state.

Snyder has asked that the workgroup be assembled by the Michigan Domestic and Sexual Violence Prevention and Treatment Board. The workgroup will be comprised of "campus leaders, sexual assault service providers and community and state partners."

"As a state, we need to do everything we can to make sure survivors receive the support and resources they need in order to start the long journey toward healing," Snyder said in the release. "This is another step forward as we continue our work to make Michigan a model state in addressing sexual assault on college and university campuses."

The resources provided to survivors will include information about Title IX, a description of options for filing sexual assault personal protection orders, how to connect with law enforcement, sexual assault medical forensic examination availability and campus and community resources and support services.

This "survivor toolkit" will be revealed at the "Inform. Empower. Prevent. Let's End Campus Sexual Assault" summit on Sept. 25 at Eastern Michigan University.

The announcement follows months of controversy related to sexual assault on MSU's campus, including multiple cases against ex-MSU Dr. Larry Nassar and ongoing investigations involving members of the MSU football team.

Share and discuss “Michigan First Lady announces plans for campus sexual assault workgroup” on social media.