Column: Why Oregon will beat Michigan State

On Saturday, ESPN's College GameDay will kick off its weekly show in East Lansing, Michigan at 9 a.m. ET. With fans going crazy behind them, the GameDay crew will talk all things college football before turning their attention on the matchup between No. 7 Oregon and No. 5 MSU.

I'll save you the time from watching the show so you can sleep in and give you the answer you're looking for.

Oregon will beat MSU. Plain and simple. Exclamation point!

As fans of MSU and/or college football, most of you might think I'm completely nuts and have no idea what I'm talking about. While I have been referred to as "completely nuts" on more than one occasion, I can assure you I know what I'm talking about, so allow me to lay out some history and facts as to why Oregon will win.

Oregon loves to play in front of College GameDay. In the 15 games when GameDay attended the Oregon home/away game, the Ducks have a beastly 15-3 record, including last year's 46-27 stomping of the Spartans.

The Spartans are a four point favorite, snapping Oregon's 48-game streak of always being the favorite. The last time the Ducks weren't expected to fly high, they pounded former Stanford player Andrew Luck and the team by a score of 53-30.

Now it's time to focus on the actual game and the players participating in it.

Oregon may have lost Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota (I'm sure that flip play still lives in the nightmares of Spartan fans), but the Ducks will travel to East Lansing with a deeper and more talented offense than last year.

Royce Freeman, Charles Nelson and Byron Marshall return as skilled players who are all a year stronger, better and more mature. Also returning for Oregon is wide receiver Bralon Addison, who is widely considered the best receiver on the team.

I have a great respect for MSU and everything the program has done over the years, but without Pat Narduzzi leading the defense, this is a totally different squad. Come on, the Spartans' vaunted defense gave up 24 points to Western Michigan.

After giving up 24 to Western, how on earth are the Spartans supposed to stop the high-flying Ducks? I don't think so.

Yes, Oregon gave up 42 points to Eastern Washington, a FCS school, but the Eagles have arguably the best receiver in the nation in Cooper Kupp and, given the circumstances of the game, the Eastern Washington was fired up and ready to go.

Still, both defenses are lacking and if this game is going to turn into a shootout, by all means — let's roll. Saying the best offense will win is a bet I'm willing to take.

Call me completely nuts, but I also trust the quarterback who's been in Oregon's system for just four weeks. Sometimes the best things in life come from the completely crazy, so why not roll with it and let it fly?

Best of luck to all.

Ryan Kostecka is a sports reporter for the Oregon Daily Emerald. To read Matt Argillander's column on why Michigan State will win Saturday's game, click here.

Share and discuss “Column: Why Oregon will beat Michigan State” on social media.