Friday, May 3, 2024

College of Music hosts annual Cello Plus Chamber Music Festival

The 14th annual Cello Plus Chamber Music Festival’s first day of performances was on Monday with the “Russian Gems” concert. The concert was divided into two parts and consisted of two lengthy songs performed by faculty and guest judges.

Events will pick up again at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday with the concert, “A Composer and His Music.”

Guest performer Vache Sharafyan, an Armenian pianist and composer, will play three pieces that he wrote specially for the festival that have yet to be heard by any audience.

“It’s the world premiere for those pieces,” said Kathleen Adams, the communications manager for the College of Music.

Sharafyan also will perform two other new piano pieces. A handful of faculty and guest performers also will take the stage that evening.

Suren Bagratuni, the artistic director of the event and MSU cello professor, said Sharafyan’s music is significant all over the world. He added that he will be spending time with College of Music students and faculty, giving talks and working with them on pieces.

Thursday kicks off two days primarily devoted to the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. “Bach Plus Day 1” includes a free concert at 5 p.m. and a ticketed performance at 7:30 p.m.

The 50-student choir, the State Singers, will p erform with various faculty artists.

“Bach Plus Day 2” will be held on Friday and includes a free 5 p.m. performance featuring faculty and guest performers.

The ticketed show at 8 p.m., entitled “Bach and Forth,” will bring a twist to Bach’s music in celebration of the famed composer’s birthday.

“Bach and Forth” is a solo piano performance by guest artist Stephen Prutsman that will shift back and forth between Bach pieces and a variety of other genres, such as country, classic rock and gospel songs.

“For chamber music lovers, this is going to be heaven,” Adams said.

Sunday will mark the finale of the festival with a 3 p.m. “Chamber Music Favorites” concert performed by various faculty and guest musicians. Similar to Monday’s concert, the performance will be divided into two songs.

“We have international people coming to campus, people getting recognized here and people recognizing MSU as a place for classical music,” Bagratuni said. “Every concert is a highlight and each one is very unique.”

Tickets for each concert are $15 for adults, $12 for senior citizens and $5 for students and anyone under 18. Each performance will be held in the newly-renovated Fairchild Theatre in the Auditorium.

Share and discuss “College of Music hosts annual Cello Plus Chamber Music Festival” on social media.