East Lansing Police update description of Cedar Street shooting suspect

<p>Photo courtesy of <span class="caps">ELPD</span></p>

Photo courtesy of ELPD

The East Lansing Police Department has released several new images of the suspect wanted for killing one student and injuring another on the 200 block of Cedar Street Friday evening.

Newly-released surveillance images show the suspect, who shot and killed hospitality business sophomore Dominique “D.J.” Nolff and injured another student, entering and leaving the complex on Friday evening.

The updated police description indicates the suspect is a black male between 6-foot-1 and 6-foot-3 inches tall between 20-25 years of age who weighs about 170 pounds.

At the time of the shooting, the suspect was wearing a black North Face jacket, tan pants and black shoes. Police believe the suspect received significant injuries to his face during the altercation.

The man currently remains at large.

Police said the incident does not appear to be a random act.

The shooting was fatal for Nolff, whose friends described him as someone who was selfless and goal-driven in previous interviews with The State News.

Students and family members who knew Nolff have continued to grieve on social media for him, and on Sunday, members of the Black Student Alliance organized an event commemorating his life in an attempt to restore peace to the area where he was killed.

Those in the MSU community affected by his death can access resources available at the MSU Counseling Center, according to a university statement.

Another student, a 20-year-old male from Grand Haven, was shot and sustained injuries in the incident as well.

He was treated for his injuries at the hospital and later released.

He declined comment when contacted by The State News.

Little is publicly known about the motive behind the shooting, which took place around 8:45 p.m. Friday evening.

A text message alert was sent out to students at about 11 p.m. warning them of the shooting.

Many residents in the surrounding neighborhood contacted by State News reporters said they had no idea anything out of the ordinary was going on.

Others were upset they were not warned a shooting had occurred earlier in the evening, and that the information they received was not incredibly detailed.

The MSU Police Department said in a statement that the department held off alerting the MSU community because the incident had to be confirmed with East Lansing police.

Anyone with information on the shooting is encouraged to call the East Lansing Police Department at (517) 319-6884.

Share and discuss “East Lansing Police update description of Cedar Street shooting suspect” on social media.