Sunday, October 6, 2024

Ad team earns first national bid in more than 10 years

For the first time in more than 10 years, the MSU chapter of the American Advertising Federation, or MSUAAF, has advanced to the 2013 National Student Advertising Competition, or NSAC.

MSUAAF touts itself on its website as Cedar Banks, a “student run, fully functional advertising agency that’s cooking up something real big.”

The team earned a ticket to the national competition in Phoenix, Ariz., June 5-8 by placing first at the American Advertising Federation’s District 6 competition last Friday. The field consisted of 18 schools from Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.

“Our whole team was up in arms and screaming and crying,” said advertising senior and MSUAAF President Lukas Miller, describing the moment they were announced as winners. “It was pretty emotional and intense.”

However, MSUAAF Faculty Advisor David Regan is concerned the group might not be able to fully reap the rewards of their hard work. Recent funding troubles have put the trip to Phoenix in jeopardy for much of the class.

“By hook or by crook, the presentation team is going to make their way out there somehow. If we all have to scrape pennies or something, somehow we’re going to get the team out there,” Regan said. “I want to send my students there, damn it, I want to send them all there. They all deserve a chance to meet with these top people and possibly get hired and be with the best of the best.”

Each year, a corporation sponsors the competition and submits a case study that advertising teams from across the country must tackle. Their results are presented and judged.

The sponsor for the 2013 competition is Glidden Paint. Eric Stasiowski is the director of communications for decorative paints for AkzoNobel, Glidden’s parent corporation, and said the experience is a valuable opportunity for the company.

“The Glidden brand was looking for creative, innovative and really unique ideas to increase ideas for the paint brand in Walmart stores,” Stasiowski said. “We thought students nationwide could help us with that challenge.”

It’s something Cedar Banks was up to.

“They give us a fake budget, they give us limitations all in this case, they (also) give us some research and a target,” Miller said. “It’s up to us to interpret (the case study), solve the problem and say if we were the agency selected, what we would do with their problem.”

Although the students are receiving the class credit, Stasiowski said the experience will prepare students for their careers because it mimics a professional situation.

“It’s as close as you can get to a real-life advertising and marketing experience,” Stasiowski said. “For these guys to make it to nationals, it’s quite a testament.”

Share and discuss “Ad team earns first national bid in more than 10 years” on social media.