Sunday, October 27, 2024

Honors College holds multicultural dinner to celebrate group diversity

<p>(Left to Right) Lyman Briggs freshman Julia Simon, Lyman Briggs freshman Laura Robertson and no-preference freshman Ashley Thomas laugh as they introduce themselves at the 12th Annual Honors College Welcome Dinner on Monday Oct. 15, 2012, at Eustace-Cole Hall. Katie Stiefel/ State News</p>

(Left to Right) Lyman Briggs freshman Julia Simon, Lyman Briggs freshman Laura Robertson and no-preference freshman Ashley Thomas laugh as they introduce themselves at the 12th Annual Honors College Welcome Dinner on Monday Oct. 15, 2012, at Eustace-Cole Hall. Katie Stiefel/ State News

When Honors College students Julia Simon and Linsey Stauffer woke up Monday morning, they had no idea that they would be sharing a meal together by the end of the day.

Simon, a Lyman Briggs freshman, and Stauffer, a James Madison freshman, were two of many students who attended Monday’s 12th Annual Honors College Multicultural Welcome Dinner. The event, which is held each fall, brings Honors College students from diverse backgrounds together to celebrate their differences, and for upperclassmen, share bits of advice to new members.

During the event, students were encouraged to enjoy free Mediterranean food and interact with several faculty members from the college, including Honors College Dean Cynthia Jackson-Elmoore.

“We believe it is important to provide multiple opportunities for students to come together and learn from one another,” Jackson-Elmoore said in an email. “The dialogue and fellowship that occurs during the dinner is an exciting way to acknowledge the many similarities and differences we all share.”

Bess German, director of admissions and student affairs for the Honors College, said the dinner also is a great way to make new students feel less isolated from the college and help introduce them to fellow members and administrators.

“The peer connection can be very powerful for new students,” she said. “We want all of our students to feel included and welcomed to the Honors College.”

For some upperclassmen, such as mechanical engineering junior David Crouse, events such as the dinner served as one of the ways they first became acclimated with the Honors College and made friends.

“The different organizations and events provided me with a first way of getting involved,” he said. “They were one of the ways I started making friends in the Honors College and learning about the different opportunities available.”

Although experiences such as Crouse’s are the main goal for many first-year members of the Honors College, German said promoting diversity can easily bring new people together.

“Everyone has a cultural background,” she said. “It’s a great theme to bring people together.”

Share and discuss “Honors College holds multicultural dinner to celebrate group diversity” on social media.