MSU looks to improve on last outing

Teammates watch as sophomore Shanthi Teike performs her floor exercise on Jan. 22 against  Minnesota at Jenison Field House. Teike placed second in the all-around results with a score of 37.575. Lauren Wood/The State News
Teammates watch as sophomore Shanthi Teike performs her floor exercise on Jan. 22 against Minnesota at Jenison Field House. Teike placed second in the all-around results with a score of 37.575. Lauren Wood/The State News —
Photo by Lauren Wood | and Lauren Wood/The State News The State News

After receiving its season-high score in last weekend’s competition, the MSU gymnastics team is looking to repeat and improve when it faces Ohio State on the road at 7 p.m. Friday.

With their 193.425 score from the New Hampshire Invitational last weekend — a full two points higher than any other meet this season — the Spartans said although it was their best score, they know they’re capable of competing at an even higher level.

“Even though we did improve by two points, it wasn’t our best performance,” senior gymnast Nicole Argiros said. “There is so much we can improve upon: sticking our landings and fighting for every handstand on bars and just in general, being more clean.”

During a tough week of practice between road meets, MSU said there still are obvious areas where improvements can be made to make the overall score higher.

The Spartans always are shooting for perfect and flawless routines, and they’re hoping the meet against the Buckeyes will create that opportunity.

“Last weekend, all of the events we had one of our best people have a mistake, so I think that could be a major place where we could improve,” junior gymnast Jackie Berg said. “Just (on) landings and little wobbles on beam and things like that.”

Reflecting on the days since the last meet, head coach Kathie Klages said there was a noticeable difference in the mindset of her gymnasts: They all looked like they were having fun.

For the first time this season, in meets and practices, the Spartans were creating a positive atmosphere to work in, and it is translating into confidence, making the gymnasts more aggressive.

“We need to build on that positive energy and that confidence, and we will see this team rise to (how) they’re capable of performing,” Klages said.

“We’re always focusing on straightening your legs on your flight series or sticking dismounts and none of that has changed … (but) we’re always trying to focus on our positive energy and staying upbeat.”

Maintaining this positive attitude is sometimes hard, especially with so many gymnasts suffering minor injuries, preventing them from competing fully. To keep them as healthy as possible, Klages said she might take the meet as an opportunity to rest some, while opening doors for others to compete in more events than usual.

In terms of competition, Klages said she knows Ohio State’s talent and how they’ve performed this season, she reminds the Spartans to focus only on their routines and their personal goals because there’s nothing the Buckeyes can do to affect them.

“We have to go out and do our job, and we have no control over what they do in their job,” Klages said. “There’s no defense; there’s no offense, so it’s just a matter of us concentrating on trying to get our job done.”

A win against Ohio State not only would help the Spartans’ overall season, but it also would prove to everyone they’re living up to their full potential.

“If we could pull out a win, that would be really exciting for us,” Berg said.

“That would definitely be a confidence booster. We have been working hard, and it would show we can put it all together at the same time and really show up to a meet.”

Share and discuss “MSU looks to improve on last outing” on social media.