The score might have been 14-2 in favor of the White team, but the real winner of the MSU football team’s Spring Game was the defense. With a young offense and an even more inexperienced quarterback substituting in, there was no question that the team with the stronger defense would be victorious, and with such a low scoring game, defense was dominant on both teams. “We stepped up; we (rose) to the challenge,” said junior linebacker Denicos Allen, who played for the White team.
When Max Bullough earned his starting position at middle linebacker in 2011, he immediately became a leader on the MSU football team, especially within the Spartan defense. But with several key leaders graduating following last season, the junior linebacker embraces his leadership role in a new way for 2012.
Despite Saturday being the MSU football team’s final scrimmage of the spring before training camp in August, Andrew Maxwell will have to sit this one out. The knee sprain Maxwell suffered during a team scrimmage almost two weeks ago has kept him limited in practice, and although there was a chance he could return for the Spring Game on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Spartan Stadium, head coach Mark Dantonio said Maxwell is officially not playing.
MSU junior heavyweight wrestler Steve Andrus received an invitation to compete in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in the 120-kilogram/264.5-pound weight class in the Greco-Roman division as one of two wildcard selections, USA Wrestling recently announced.
Blake Treadwell knows both sides of the line better than most — probably because he’s played three positions in four years for the MSU football team. Starting his Spartan career at defensive tackle, the now-junior made the switch from a defensive lineman to an offensive lineman during spring football last year and started at center in MSU’s first three games in 2011.
- Spring Game halftime update: White leads Green, 7-2
- Step aerobics and the odd man out
- So you think you can bowl?
- Kinesiology presentations give instructors easy way out
- Sitting out in 2011, Hoover fitting well at defensive tackle
- Arthur Ray's role for 2012 unknown, will be tested
- Kickers add depth, experience to special teams
- Swimming: The end all, cure all
- Despite the workout, aerobics classes have little music variety
- Spin class offers interesting alternative to traditional biking
- LIVESTRONG app aids workout record keeping
- Greg Jones proposes during Super Bowl celebration
- Big Ten proposes playoff instead of BCS
- DeAnthony Arnett stands out in 2012 recruiting class
- Urban Meyer sparks recruiting rivalry with MSU
- MSU receives 17 letters of intent on National Signing Day
- Football lands four-star recruit Demetrious Cox
- MSU receives 17th verbal commitment for 2012
- Spartans show at Senior Bowl
- Swimming-driven week provides great workout, severely fatigued muscles