Saturday, October 19, 2024

Rally promotes grad student rights

Graduate students, in conjunction with picketing for improved health care, rallied in the International Center lobby on Thursday afternoon on behalf of international student rights. Graduate student and employee April Herndon speaks out against the contracts and legislation that have been proposed regarding international students.

April Herndon’s pockets are empty.

Herndon, a member of MSU’s Graduate Employees Union, ended a rally at the International Center that culminated the union’s two-day informational picket. The rally was held to support international students, who union officials said have even greater problems than U.S. graduates.

Union members are negotiating for their first contract with the administration, and are hoping to obtain a better health care package.

Each member is allocated $2,000 a year through Olin Health Center. Herndon, an American Studies graduate student, said her coverage runs dry after eight months.

University officials would not comment on contract negotiations or graduate support of international students’ rights.

“One of the reasons we’re out here today is in the hands of this university,” Herndon said. “They’re not doing anything to make our work light - are they? You know what else they’re doing? They done took the money out of my pocket because my prescription cap is up on my health care.”

Herndon’s speech was interrupted several times by applause of the nearly 100 people at the rally. After the speech, Herndon, a member of the union’s steering committee, said she was glad to see Capital Area Transportation Authority bus drivers giving thumbs up and to hear horns honking in support.

“It’s been really great to see that there is a much wider base of support than I originally thought there was,” Herndon said.

Although the rally was filled with union members, people nearby also stopped to listen to the union’s message.

One worker at the International Center said it is great that the union can mobilize together, but that it needs to take into consideration people who are working.

Graduate union officials said international students have a hard time receiving decent health care.

Beth King, chairperson of the Clerical-Technical Union’s Issues in Education Committee, said the graduate union is fighting for an important cause.

“We believe in living wage and good health care for every worker - it’s a worker’s issue worldwide,” she said.

Duncan Woodhead, a British international student, spoke about the union’s fight for health care intersects with the treatment of international students.

“International students generally do not qualify for student loans,” he said. “We survive entirely on our assistantships. Our assistantships currently are at a level that is below even that acknowledged by the university, itself, as a minimum living wage. International students are the most vulnerable in this respect.”

Helping the graduate union negotiate are members of the Michigan Federation of Teachers and School Related Personnel. David Hecker, federation president, said the graduate union is capable of finishing negotiations without much of its help.

“This local is extremely capable to bargain their contract,” he said. “I think they will bring it to closure, given their skill and their commitment.”

Share and discuss “Rally promotes grad student rights” on social media.