Sunday, May 19, 2024

Carrier Classic unites MSU fans, veterans, alumni

U.S. Navy Lieutenant Mike Slagh talks about how how impressive it was to see the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic finally come together. Slagh, who went to MSU in 2003 before transferring to the Naval Academy, also talks about how special it is for him as a Spartan and as a member of the military to be a part of such an event.

Second Lt. Thomas Thornton III of the U.S. Marine Corps was ecstatic when he found out the MSU men’s basketball team was coming to San Diego to play North Carolina on the USS Carl Vinson.
But his excitement was about more than simply having the chance to be a part of a historic college basketball game.

Thornton is the older brother of MSU senior guard Austin Thornton, and Friday’s Quicken Loans Carrier Classic gave Thomas the rare opportunity to see his brother play, along with bringing the Thornton family together.

“It’s divine intervention,” Thomas said. “Not coincidence.”

Last month, Thomas, 26, was stationed to Camp Pendleton in San Diego County, making it possible for him to join his family to see Austin and the Spartans take on the Tar Heels. MSU lost 67-55, but Thomas wasn’t worried about the score.

“It’s a fun opportunity,” he said.

“It’s a unique opportunity that I get to watch him play, I don’t often get a chance like this.”

Thomas and Austin share a younger brother, Judson, who also was in attendance Friday.

Judson said he was grateful to be able to see both his brothers in such a unique setting.

“Just to be able to be around them and be here in support of all these guys is really special for me,” Judson said.

The Carrier Classic wasn’t a reunion for everyone, but it was an event those in attendance said they will never forget.

Alumni Association Associate Vice President Scott Westerman said the San Diego Alumni Foundation hosted events for MSU fans making the trip for the game since Tuesday.

More than 600 people took a cruise in San Diego Harbor on Thursday, giving them their first look at the USS Carl Vinson. The alumni group also hosted a breakfast Friday with speakers such as MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon.

“It was amazing,” Westerman said before Friday’s game.

“The Spartans are having a blast out here.”

Some Spartans in the crowd for the game were able to cheer for their favorite team while also being honored for their service in the U.S. military.

Lt. Mike Slagh went to MSU for a year in 2003 before transferring to the Naval Academy. Shortly after leaving East Lansing, where he grew up, Slagh said he remembered hearing Athletics Director Mark Hollis’ idea for playing on an aircraft carrier start to float around.

On Friday, Slagh, wearing an MSU football jersey, said it was amazing to see the idea finally come to fruition.

“I was hoping it would happen some day,” Slagh said.

“I’m really just in awe. The whole production, I can’t believe how much went into it.”

Share and discuss “Carrier Classic unites MSU fans, veterans, alumni” on social media.