Sunday, May 19, 2024

Izzo proud of men’s basketball team despite 67-55 loss to No. 1 North Carolina

Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a call made by the referees on Friday evening for the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic onboard the U.S.S. Carl Vinson at Naval Base Coronado in Coronado, CA. The Tar Heels defeated the Spartans, 67-55. Josh Radtke/The State News

Although the MSU men’s basketball team lost the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic on Friday in San Diego, head coach Tom Izzo was proud of his team.

The 67-55 loss to No. 1 North Carolina aboard the USS Carl Vinson will go down in history, but Izzo will take away more than just memories of the game.

“The defense was pretty good,” he said. “The rebounding was awesome. If we can get back to those roots, (we’ll be okay).”

The one area of the game that really stood out to Izzo was the team’s dominance on the glass — not an easy task going against an All-American frontcourt of Harrison Barnes, Tyler Zeller and John Henson.

Senior forward Draymond Green grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds, and the team outrebounded the Tar Heels, 49-34.

“I thought they were so big,” Izzo said of the Tar Heels. “They get the first two (rebounds) of
the game, and then we just dominated the first half.”

Youth see floor time
Izzo said the youth of his team was part of what hurt the final result.

Six players had never played in a college basketball game for MSU, but two freshman played substantial minutes — including a start for guard Branden Dawson.

But guard Travis Trice was thrown into the fire in the second half when sophomore guard Keith Appling fouled out of the game. Trice collected three assists, three steals and four points in 20 key minutes.

Izzo was happy with Trice’s play, with one exception.

“He showed me some good things,” Izzo said. “Then he jacked two shots that … probably show me some bad things.”

Trice was happy he landed the minutes he did in such a big game.

“I honestly felt better then, because I was like, ‘Alright, now I can get into a groove,’” he said. “I wasn’t coming in and out. I liked that better.”

Izzo campaigns
Following Friday’s game, Izzo had some issues with college basketball.

Dawson slipped midway through the first half on the stickered-on midcourt logo and thought he was seriously injured. He came back into the game shortly after, but Izzo still was upset with the history of the logo slips.

“We have to get rid of those logos in the middle of the court,” Izzo said. “I’ll wear the logos to support the people who sponsor, they can paint me. It’s not about the coaches, it’s about the safety of the players.”

Izzo also expressed discontent with the game’s officiating.

“Some of the fouls were crazy,” Izzo said.

“Those can’t all be charges, and if they are I’m going to remove that circle. I don’t know what it’s in there for.”

Share and discuss “Izzo proud of men’s basketball team despite 67-55 loss to No. 1 North Carolina” on social media.