Thursday, August 21, 2014

MSU Football Blog

Spartans among bowl teams receiving gift packages

By Erin Smith          Posted: 12/04/12 8:43pm         

With the bowl season descending on the college football world, so too are gift packages for the athletes headed to them.

According to a report from sportsbusinessdaily.com, collegiate football players heading to bowl games will receive substantial gift packages for their participation ranging from gift suites and shopping trips to watches and backpacks. Each school can give up to 125 participants gifts up to a $550 limit, per NCAA rules.

In heading to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., the MSU football team and Texas Christian University, or TCU, will receive a gift suite presented by PAC Sports Division, a Fossil watch and an Ogio Mercur backpack, according to the report.

But it’s also interesting that many football players’ selflessness is showing both on and off the field. The report indicates many of the athletes who are making it to postseason bowls are sharing their gift packages with their families.

SportsBusiness did an analysis of gift packages — including gift suites and shopping trips — and found a surprising number of women’s gifts being bought.

Will Webb, executive director of Charlotte Collegiate Football, the nonprofit committee that operates the ACC Dr. Pepper Championship football game in Charlotte and the Belk Bowl told SportsBusiness one of his better experiences during a player’s shopping trip last year.

“I saw one young man carrying a high-end Cuisinart coffee maker and pink slippers to the checkout counter,” Webb said in the article. “I asked him jokingly if those were for him. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, ‘You have no idea how much this means to me. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever been able to buy my mom a Christmas present.’”

The Spartans take on TCU in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl at 10:15 p.m., EST, on Dec. 29 at Sun Devil Stadium, which houses Arizona State during the regular season.