MSU athletic rep. Sue Carter resigns, will remain as professor

<p>MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon addresses the board as professor Sue Carter, Steering Committee chairperson, looks on Sept. 10 in the board room of the Administration Building. Khoa Nguyen/ The State News</p>

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon addresses the board as professor Sue Carter, Steering Committee chairperson, looks on Sept. 10 in the board room of the Administration Building. Khoa Nguyen/ The State News

Sue Carter, MSU Faculty Athletic Representative, resigned from her position on Wednesday, hours after ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar was sentenced in court.

Her resignation comes one day after the NCAA sent a letter to the university announcing it was beginning an investigation into how the university handled the sexual abuse Nassar, who digitally penetrated more than 150 women and girls, some of which were MSU athletes.

Nassar was sentenced on Wednesday to at least 40 years, but could spend up to 175 years in prison. 

“I no longer have the desire or the heart to administration going forward,” Carter said in her resignation letter. “As both professor and priest, I am profoundly saddened by Michigan State University’s public posture and seemingly callous regard for these girls and women.”

Carter has been the Faculty Athletic Representative to the Big Ten since 2014, and was also chairperson for the Athletic Council, the faculty voice in intercollegiate athletics on issues of academic policy related to student-athletes. 

“During my years of association with this University, I have served as a leader of undergraduate students and faculty members alike,” Carter said in her letter. “My daughter and I are both alumnae. Michigan State University has played a central role in my life. It has been an honor to serve in many capacities. However, in the current circumstance, I can no longer be a bystander nor this University’s Faculty Athletic Representative.”

Carter, a professor in MSU’s School of Journalism, told The State News on Wednesday the resignation will have no effect on her position as a professor.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon stated in November 2017 that Carter was stepping down as athletic representative at the end of the school year, according to a record from a Steering Committee meeting. According to the document, the Athletic Council has been searching for a new candidate to replace Carter since Dec. 7, 2017.

Carter joined MSU’s faculty in 1991 after a 17-year career as a news broadcaster and a talk show host at radio and television stations in Michigan, Connecticut and Ontario, Canada.

Share and discuss “MSU athletic rep. Sue Carter resigns, will remain as professor” on social media.