Four takeaways from MSU Board of Trustees meeting

Trustee Mitch Loyns reads off an apology on Feb. 17, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Lyons was apologizing for tweets that he posted a few weeks ago. Students and community members were given an opportunity to voice their concerns.

MSU’s Board of Trustees met for its second meeting of 2017 Friday morning. Amidst controversy, the board addressed issues regarding ex-MSU employee Larry Nassar, Trustee Mitch Lyons’ controversial tweet and other cases on sexual assault and harassment. Here are other highlights and big takeaways from the meeting.

1. Updates to Spartan Stadium

MSU authorized new projects to renovate Spartan Stadium, including creating an addition to the south end zone and installing permanent field lighting. Both are expected to be completed by the fall 2017 season.

The addition and reconstruction of the south end zone is a $13 million project. The funds for this project will come from athletics funds. In addition to creating an ease in the flow of traffic, MSU hopes to use the space to create a photo spot.

MSU’s budget for implementing permanent stadium lights is $2 million, also to come from athletics funds. The decision to implement new lighting in the stadium comes as a result of the new television contract that has been assigned over multiple television networks.

2. Renovations to campus buildings

The board also approved projects to renovate Bessey Hall and the Veterinary Medical Center, both to be done during the summer.

Planned renovations for Bessey include updating classroom spaces, creating rooms for exams, ADA single-use restrooms and more study areas with a budget of $2.9 million.

“This is the second major swap through Bessey Hall, as you all know, we all had a class there, it’s one of our most heavily used instructional spaces for first and second year undergraduates,” Provost June Youatt said.

The Veterinary Medical Center will see the same renovations as Bessey Hall with a budget of $1.5 million addressing ADA implements as well. 

3. Renovations to Athletic Facilities

MSU will replace the track in Ralph Young Field and will renovate parts of IM Sports-West.

The track will be replaced because of the track’s old age, and the funding for the replacement of the track will come from athletics funding.

IM Sports-West will be updated with a budget of $2,816,000 which will come from athletics and university capital renewal funding.

IM Sports-West will see renovations in the pool, which is used competitively and recreationally, and the pool locker rooms.

4. Personnel actions

MSU approved personnel actions to reappoint Mark Dantonio to head football Coach for 2022-23, essentially renewing his contract.

MSU also appointed MSU Professor John Dorgan to tenure effective Feb. 6.

Share and discuss “Four takeaways from MSU Board of Trustees meeting” on social media.