Sunday, October 26, 2014

MSU dedicates completion of the North End Zone of Spartan Stadium

By Robert Bondy

For months, students and staff have seen the Northern End Zone entrance at Spartan Stadium as a pile of construction equipment and hard hats. On Monday, donors, coaches and families got to see what $24 million can build.

The North End Zone entrance was dedicated with a walking tour that showed donors and members of the media the welcome center, new media center dedicated to Head Basketball Coach Tom Izzo and his family, and new locker rooms that featured carpets and new lockers.

Members of the tour then traveled to the outside of the tunnel for a formal dedication that featured speeches from president Lou Anna K. Simon, Athletic Director Mark Hollis and Football Head Coach Mark Dantonio, among others.

“This building will be here a long time, just like Michigan State,” president Simon said. “We want a program to have sustained success whether it is in nuclear physics or football.”

The project took a little more than a year to complete and is a two level expansion that, in addition to new locker rooms, has a recruiting center.

Deputy Athletic Director Greg Ianni said the locker room renovations were an important part of the project, and something that has long been overdue.

“When you have guests here, what you see here is what they take away about Michigan State,” Ianni said. “I want them to feel as comfortable as possible, because when they walk through this tunnel (onto the field) it’s probably not going to be a very good experience.”

Hollis said this project only furthers MSU’s reputation.

“Michigan State is a great university and we should never apologize for that,” he said. “That greatness comes from looking at how to make things better, not make ourselves better but how we build ourselves up in positive ways.”

Despite the addition to the stadium, on the field Hollis said the job is not done for the football team.

“Our expectation every season is that all of us believe that we will go to the Rose Bowl,” he said. “All of you have made that possible.”