Dantonio emphasizes fundamentals in spring football

MSU’s head football coach Mark Dantonio discusses the future of his team.

Photo by Robert Bondy | and Omari Sankofa II The State News

Tuesday marked MSU’s fourth practice of the spring and only the team’s second in full pads. Head coach Mark Dantonio addressed the media on his goals for the first few weeks, looking at players that already have caught his eye and tight position battles.

Shaking off cobwebs

Dantonio made it clear that in just four practices since capturing the 2014 Rose Bowl, he wants to see his team improve on the basics.

“The biggest thing is I think you want to get your feet back under you, reaffirm who you are as a player fundamentally,” Dantonio said. “(I) want to see quick reactions, guys that play with power, guys that play sudden, catch the ball, really do the fundamental things that allow you to be successful.”

Dantonio said his team isn’t fundamentally as smooth right now as it was at the end of last year’s championship run, but that is expected for the beginning of the spring.

“After one day, you can see that were not as good of football team fundamentally as we were at the end of last season,” Dantonio said. “That’s to be expected the first spring practice, but there were good things to see as well.”

Early standouts

Junior defensive lineman Lawrence Thomas already has caught Dantonio’s eye. The coach said the former fullback finally has been able to improve his game after battling injuries.

“He’s a guy, remember last year, (that) had a shoulder injury, missed all of spring ball and he had the back episode that took him into the season, (and) really didn’t start playing until October,” Dantonio said. “So this is the first time he’s been able to get his feet on the ground fundamentally.”

Thomas appeared in only seven games last season as a defensive lineman after spending the 2012 season as a fullback. He finished with only one tackle last year.

Sophomore tight end Jamal Lyles is improved, the coach said.

Dantonio said Lyles has stepped forward and is playing well thus far as he prepares for his first full season on offense after converting from defensive end, where he spent last year.

Tight competition

MSU will have to replace key defenders in cornerback Darqueze Dennard and safety Isaiah Lewis after both graduated.

Sophomore Darian Hicks appears to have taken the edge on the open cornerback spot so far, but a very close battle to replace Lewis at strong safety has emerged between junior R.J. Williamson and sophomore Demetrious Cox, Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “Dantonio emphasizes fundamentals in spring football” on social media.