New Spartan license plate available in February

Spartan fans will have another way to show their school spirit — with new license plates.

Starting Feb. 1, 2014, the Michigan Department of State plans to offer a new fundraiser license plate that will showcase the Spartan helmet logo, according to MSU Today.

The current MSU fundraiser license plate has the Spartan block ‘S.’ Those who want to retain their current MSU plate will be able to by keeping it when they renew their registrations.

Car owners can purchase the block ‘S’ license plate until Feb. 1. Due to a Department of State rule, the university can only have one specialty plate at a time.

More than 500,000 of the current MSU specialty plate have sold since the fundraiser started in 2000, and the sales have generated an estimated $6.2 million for the university, according to a recent State News interview with MSU spokesperson Jason Cody. Proceeds from the MSU fundraiser plates are used to support student scholarships, athletics and the University Activities Board, MSU Today said.

Motorcycles, trailers and vehicles used commercially are not eligible to receive these license plates, according to the Secretary of the State, or SOS, website.

Fundraiser license plates can be ordered by mail, fax or at any SOS branch office for $35, and $25 of which goes directly to the university.

The design of the new plate has not been finalized, Cody said in an email.

Share and discuss “New Spartan license plate available in February” on social media.