MSU license plate No. 1 specialty plate

MSU fans and alumni, a rabid collective of green and white-clad supporters often bordering on zealotry, express their school spirit through purchasing everything from apparel to seat cushions, and license plates are no exception.

The MSU speciality plate has sold more than 500,000 since its inception in 2000.

The speciality plate is one of several school-funding plates in Michigan. MSU stands atop all Michigan-based schools, with the University of Michigan coming in second place at 362,000 plates sold. Speciality plates are offered for all Michigan public universities.

The MSU plates have raised an estimated $6.2 million for the university and that is divvied up equally between the athletics department and student scholarships, which both receive 45 percent, with the remaining 10 percent going to auxiliary services, according to MSU spokesperson Jason Cody.

If Spartans wish to commemorate their time in East Lansing with a decorative plate, fans need to cough up an additional $35, $25 of which goes to MSU while the remaining share is a state service charge, according to the Michigan secretary of state.

Share and discuss “MSU license plate No. 1 specialty plate ” on social media.