Trustees vote to move forward with Chittenden Hall project

The MSU Board of Trustees voted to move forward with the renovation of Chittenden Hall on Friday.

The Council of Graduate Students, or COGS, has been striving to get Chittenden Hall renovated since 2010.

According to a press release by COGS, renovations are planned to start in November. The revamp is slated to cost about $6.2 million

“Having a home for graduate and professional students will help to strengthen graduate student services and an overall sense of community among advanced degree candidates,” said COGS President Stefan Fletcher in a press release, adding that seeing the project finally come to life is remarkable.

Karen Klomparens, dean of the Graduate School, said both the Graduate School and COGS are looking forward to this project.

Klomparens said the close proximity of the offices will allow for better advancement of on-campus graduate student life. The building will include the offices of Graduate Student Life and Wellness, the Teaching Assistant program, Ph.D. Career Services, COGS and the graduate administrative offices.

Fletcher said the hall also would serve as a neighborhood-type hub for graduate and professional students.

“We are working on keeping the historical character of the building,” said Klomparens, adding that preservation will not only include the exterior, but also the interior wood paneling and flooring.

She added that an outside area will be among the renovations of the hall. This area will be located on the South side of the hall and will be equipped with wheelchair access.

Chittenden Hall is scheduled to re-open in the fall of 2014, which also marks the 20th anniversary of the Graduate School in its current format.

At the board’s June meeting, trustees approved an authorization to plan for hall renovations. The hall, which was built in 1901, has been vacant since 1999.

Share and discuss “Trustees vote to move forward with Chittenden Hall project” on social media.