Sunday, October 27, 2024

ASMSU bill looks to engage more students in weekly meetings

A bill aimed at getting more students engaged with the undergraduate student government’s work could pass at ASMSU’s Thursday meeting.

If passed, the bill would require ASMSU to start posting bills passed during committee meetings on its website one week prior to the organization’s general assembly meeting.

ASMSU representative and public policy sophomore Evan Schrage introduced the bill because he felt students have not been sufficiently informed about the legislation being discussed by the organization.

Schrage, who recently made public a video of professor William Penn’s anti-Republican rant, said it is important for students to view the bills before they are passed during the general assembly meetings so they have enough time to reach out to the organization with comments concerning the bill.

Bills such as the organization’s recent bike share initiative are introduced during the committee meetings and if passed, will be presented at the next general assembly meeting. Committee and general assembly meetings rotate every other week, with the bill not going into effect until after it has been passed by the general assembly.

“Adding the general assembly meeting agendas and legislation up for discussion has been an ongoing conversation, especially because we have been in the process of reworking our ASMSU website,” said ASMSU Vice President for Internal Administration Teresa Bitner.

Bitner said the hope is that students would engage in more conversation with their ASMSU representatives and come to the meetings to express their opinions.

Schrage said students shouldn’t be concerned about last-minute resolutions added to the general assembly agendas, since they need to be sent to committee to be approved, and then sent back to the general assembly for a vote.

“We want people to come talk to us about what they want,” Schrage said, adding that many students came to the last general assembly meeting on Oct. 3 to comment about the bike share pilot program after hearing about it through various on-campus media outlets.

“Students don’t know what we’re doing unless they see it,” ASMSU representative and political science junior Matt Bedard said.

French sophomore Caroline Rysenga said by having easy access to the bills, students would be able to know more about what is happening on-campus and what their student government is discussing.

Schrage said the decision would be a great step in opening up to students and being more transparent with them.

ASMSU’s meetings are conducted Thursday evenings in the Student Services Building.

Share and discuss “ASMSU bill looks to engage more students in weekly meetings” on social media.