Going behind the camera

Student who shot footage of professor's rant speaks out, shares story behind film

Political science sophomore Evan Schrage discusses his decision to film MSU professor William Penn during an anti-Republican class speech. Schrage also discusses the appropriateness of the university’s punishment of Penn.

The first day of a college class usually entails a brief overview of the syllabus before the professor sends students on their way.

For political science sophomore Evan Schrage, the first day of his IAH 207 class with English professor William Penn was anything but usual.

Penn went on what some are calling an anti-Republican rant during the class that moved Schrage to take out his phone and capture Penn’s comments.

“He started getting off topic,” Schrage said.“Then he started attacking certain groups.”

Schrage captured about 9 minutes of video where Penn said that Republicans “raped the country.”

Penn also talked about 2012 presidential candidate Mitt Romney and voter ID laws.

“This country is full of closeted racists,” Penn said in the video. “What do you think is going in North Carolina and South Carolina? Voter suppression. It’s about getting black people not to vote.”

On Sept. 5, Penn was removed from his teaching responsibilities. He remains a full-time employee of the university.

Schrage said although he is happy the university did something about the incident, he believes
more should be done.

“I don’t see how a slap on the wrist and a paid vacation is an appropriate punishment.” Schrage said. “I think they need to take further action.”

Schrage said he didn’t expect a lot of people to pay attention to his video, but he is happy it is getting attention.

“I’m glad people are finally starting to take notice,” he said.

Schrage is a member of MSU College Republicans but said his decision to record and release the video was not politically motivated.

The rant drew national reaction.

“Whether it is on the far left or far right, the professor shouldn’t use his pulpit to spew that kind of hate,” he said.

When Schrage asked if he still would have recorded the comments if they were about President Barack Obama, he said “of course.”

Schrage is a general assembly representative for ASMSU and said he is considering bringing up the issue of the classroom environment to the organization.

“I think the question that needs to be asked is whether or not MSU’s classes are open, free, and fair of a discussion or dialogue,” ASMSU President Evan Martinak said.

Martinak said he doesn’t necessarily think this video does enough to warrant an investigation, but said, “If there is enough interest on the part of the student body to explore these kind of issues, we will respond in the way they want us to.”

MSU faculty continued to advocate for Penn after incident; tenure played role

According to the statement, members believe it is vital to ensure the procedure to determine whether a professor might have acted outside the umbrella of protection for the exercise of academic freedom be infused with the spirit of due process.

“It’s a massively punitive measure to take toward a faculty member,” said Mae Kuykendall, an MSU law professor and president of the MSU chapter of AAUP.

Kuykendall said there was a sense of “disrespect” for the professor, and if Penn were to file a lawsuit against the university stating his academic freedom was infringed upon, he might have success.

“Undoubtedly, he’s trying to think through what he could do,” she said. “It’s arguable about what success he could have, but it’s not surprising he would stake a claim.”

The statement released Sept. 6 outlines that “the MSU faculty handbook details the procedures that must be followed in cases of disciplinary action against a professor.”

Penn’s removal had several different opinions from students.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody said in an email that because Penn was not suspended or put on leave, there is not a process for reviewing his case.

When asked about what comes next, Cody directed The State News to MSU spokesman Kent Cassella’s Sept. 5 statement stating “Penn’s teaching duties have been reassigned to others.”

Evan Schrage, a political science sophomore who released the video, said he received an email Sunday from professor Lance Norman, who will take over Penn’s former position.

There will be a Board of Trustees meeting on Friday, but Cody said Penn’s actions are not one of the topics on the agenda

Share and discuss “Going behind the camera” on social media.