Sunday, October 27, 2024

ASMSU looking into building repairs for offices

The ASMSU finance committee approved a bill to allocate up to $45,000 for the refurbishment of the undergraduate students government’s wing in the Student Services Building. The bill will be put to a vote at the next general assembly meeting on Thursday.

ASMSU College of Business representative Christie Teske said it has been 58 years since the offices have been updated, adding the matter was urgent since asbestos, a toxic material which has been shown to cause cancer, has become exposed on parts of the ceiling where the tiles have fallen off.

“($45,000) is not an unrealistic amount since we have to bring in experts to deal with asbestos,” Teske said, adding that dealing with and removing the toxic material is an expensive procedure.

The student government has reached out to MSU Infrastructure Planning and Facilities to take over the refurbishment work.

ASMSU President Evan Martinak said the entire refurbishment process most likely will be done throughout three phases, adding that it is more of an open ended procedure.

The first phase will include painting the rooms, fixing the ceilings and walls and getting new carpets and lighting installed the second phase would include the installment of new furniture with the last phase being left for any “extras,” such as art work. The group hopes to have the initial phase of refurbishments done by January.

According to Martinak, the university said it would work on renovating the Student Services building some time within the next five years, but he said the matter has become urgent and needs to be addressed soon.

ASMSU Vice President for Governmental Affairs Jessica Leacher said besides the necessity of the refurbishment for the health of students, it is important the employees feel comfortable working in their offices.

Share and discuss “ASMSU looking into building repairs for offices” on social media.