Wilder used crack cocaine prior to assaults

The man who police believe initiated four sexual assaults near MSU this summer reportedly was influenced by crack cocaine and sexual fantasy abuse videos to stalk his victims in a local Meijer and later assault them, according to police reports obtained by The State News.

Several reports from the East Lansing Police Department obtained by The State News through a Freedom of Information Act request indicate Oswald Scott Wilder, 26, admitted to committing four attacks, including one on March 30 that East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy said authorities did not initially connect to the case.

In his hand-written confession, the Vernon, Mich. resident said he had smoked crack cocaine prior to at least three of the four assaults. He said in the confession that the drug often increases his urges to an uncontrollable level.

He also admitted to having ongoing substance abuse issues with methamphetamine and heroin.

Wilder will appear for his pretrial conference Tuesday at East Lansing’s 54B District Court. He faces two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct, two counts of assault with intent to commit sexual penetration, one count of unlawful imprisonment and one count of gross indecency between a male and female by a sexually delinquent person.

The first reported victim to Wilder’s advances told authorities she was walking home from a party near the 1100 block of Grand River Avenue on March 30 when Wilder came up behind her, reached up her skirt and sexually assaulted her. When she fell on the ground, he fled the scene.

Nearly a month later, police documents indicate Wilder committed three more sexual assaults between April 20 and May 16.

Police said that Meijer surveillance footage obtained by East Lansing police showed Wilder following the second victim throughout the store, located at 1350 W. Lake Lansing Road, and out the west exit.

As she was walking home around midnight, he reportedly grabbed the victim, dragged her into nearby bushes and assaulted her. She told police Wilder punched her several times in the face and threatened to kill her.

Wilder has a history of reported shoplifting incidents in local Meijer and Walmart stores, often involving electronic theft. He also told police he shoplifted to support his drug addiction.

In January 2012, Wilder also was observed taking photos of women on his cell phone throughout an Okemos Meijer, located at 2055 W. Grand River Ave.

Wilder struck again after 2 a.m. on April 26 near Charles Street. The victim told police she was unlocking the back door to her home when she was punched in the face and dragged by her feet down the sidewalk to a shed located behind the house. When he attempted to assault her, she ran away.

During the last reported assault, police reports indicate Wilder attacked the victim as she was walking in the parking lot and dragged her behind a dumpster.

The victim told police a witness saw the attack and did not alert the authorities, despite hearing the victim scream for help.

The witness later told police he was walking through the parking lot when the victim approached him yelling. Startled, he said he pointed to the apartment complex’s main office. She ran toward the office and the witness went back to his apartment without alerting authorities.

The incidents drew media attention and also concerns from university students and residents across the East Lansing area as they played out dramatically across the spring and summer.

Wilder is being held in the Ingham County Jail without bond. If he is found guilty of all the charges, Wilder could face life in prison.

Share and discuss “Wilder used crack cocaine prior to assaults” on social media.