Police are investigating an alleged assault that occurred at about 12:30 a.m. on March 23 at the intersection of Beal Street and West Circle Drive.
The federal investigation of MSU’s handling of sexual assaults by U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights is directly linked to an alleged assault involving two basketball players that allegedly occurred in August of 2010 in Wonders Hall.University spokesman Jason Cody told The State News that a Title IX complaint regarding the alleged assault resulted in a federal investigation of how the university responds to sexual assault reports.
Convicted I-96 shooter Raulie Casteel was sentenced to 16-40 years for terrorism and 2.5-4 years for felony assault Monday afternoon in Livingston County District Court. Casteel, 44, went on a shooting spree along the I-96 corridor, shooting at motorists across several different counties. In February, the MSU alumnus was sentenced to 6.5 to 10 years in prison in Oakland County for multiple assault and weapons charges after accepting a plea deal. Although Casteel's mental state often was the subject during his trial proceedings, the diminished capacity plea to lessen charges based on mental illness was eliminated in Michigan in 2012.Casteel was found to have delusional disorder following a court-ordered independent evaluation.
The federal investigation into MSU’s handling of sexual assault complaints stems from assault in August 2010 in Wonders Hall, a university official confirmed Friday.
As a part of the U.S. Department of Education’s plan to investigate MSU’s handling of alleged sexual assault and sexual violence complaints, representatives from the department’s Office for Civil Rights, or OCR, are visiting campus this week to hear from students.Department of Education spokesman Jim Bradshaw told The State News Monday that it is currently investigating Title IX sexual harassment and violence complaints that are pending against MSU. Neither the OCR nor MSU have provided additional information regarding the claims.
- In 1980s, international students feared Taiwanese government was watching them
- Broad Art Museum profiled in New York Times
- CNN Turk failing to report on riots gaining negative attention
- MSU honored for energy-cutting efforts
- Salt Lake City, Ann Arbor rank among best cities for college graduates
- Interested in Michelle Obama? Follow her fashion with new phone app
- Deschanel mistakenly implicated in marathon bombings
- Gosling to direct Michigan-based film
- Wintour assumes new position at Conde Nast
- Lohan destroys dress after attending gala
- Top thoughts from Sunday's Grammy Awards
- Victoria's Secret model to start clothing line
- Justin Timberlake, Tom Ford collaboration a match made in heaven
- Excitement for 'Gatsby' builds as costume sketches released
- New moisturizing jeans represent consumer laziness
- CEO of Italy’s Missoni fashion house still missing
- Playing of Macklemore song leads to suspension of Michigan teacher
- Ono's new clothing line features items both revealing, shocking
- "Glee" recruits "American Idol" runner-up, leaves some disappointed
- Street style: Rikki Reynolds