MSU Dance director resigns, leaves legacy

<p><span class="caps">MSU</span> Theatre Department&#8217;s Director of Dance Sherrie Barr teaches during her dance technique class March 29, 2013, at IM Sports-Circle. Barr recently announced her resignation. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

MSU Theatre Department’s Director of Dance Sherrie Barr teaches during her dance technique class March 29, 2013, at IM Sports-Circle. Barr recently announced her resignation. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

When Sherrie Barr became the director of dance at MSU seven years ago, she had a large undertaking to fulfill.

With the dance program becoming notorious for bouncing around a slew of departments, Barr sought to secure its relevance as a discipline. Most importantly, she wanted to change people’s minds and help them embrace dance as its own body of knowledge with history and tradition.

“A lot of stereotypes of dance, both good and bad, come out of reality TV,” Barr said. “People sometimes think of dance as skills and tricks and competitions. Dance is a cultural art form, and it reflects and speaks to society.”

Despite having several accomplishments under her belt, such as aiding the incorporation of dance as a minor at MSU, Barr has decided to resign.

Although she is sad about leaving the university, Barr said it became nearly impossible to handle the department on her own, partnered with being the adviser for Orchesis, a student dance organization.

“Since I’ve gotten here, I’ve pushed for another person (in the department),” Barr said. “To keep going with the program, to keep it status quo with everything we do, there needs to be two full-time people, and it’s just not happening.”

When her decision became known, it sent a shock wave through the department. Kirk Domer, the department chair of the MSU Department of Theatre, said he has been in awe of Barr’s abilities from the start.

“I will very openly say she is one of the finest teachers I’ve ever seen in the classroom,” Domer said. “She exudes an energy that people want to learn from.”

Psychology junior Thomas Bond came to Barr as a freshman in 2011, looking for ways to further incorporate dance into his life. With her departure, Bond said East Lansing and MSU will lose some sense of artistic expression.

“East Lansing is going for the image of ‘City of the Arts,’ and with dance, that is a cornerstone art,” Bond said. “Sherrie has made dance her life. Just that whole vitality behind the dance program is what makes it so accessible to students, and that passion translates to us and makes us want to carry forward her vision.”

Within the classroom, Barr said she loved nothing more than seeing her students progress.

“I enjoy the gratification of seeing my students grow and change and share my passion,” she said. “I’m not an easy teacher at all. I’m pretty hard-nosed, and I demand a lot.”

When the time came, Barr also enjoyed sharing in their victories. In March, she brought students along to the Humanities Education and Research Association Conference in Houston to present research. After Barr received recognition for her work at the conference, communication senior Hayley Shannon said it couldn’t have been more well-deserved.

“With her being such a humble person, I don’t think she realizes the impact she makes and how immensely the work she does is felt,” Shannon said. “It felt really gratifying as her student just to see people give her that acknowledgment.”

Bond said Barr has become a sort of mother figure during the years — one who will be missed.

“With Sherrie, you get exactly what she wants you to get,” he said. “I always admired that so much about her. There are lots of different hats that she wears, but it’s always Sherrie under
the hat.”

Share and discuss “MSU Dance director resigns, leaves legacy” on social media.