Bill might halt increase of blood alcohol content

An extra vodka shot might not be enough to put students behind bars for drunken driving if Michigan lawmakers fail to pass preventative legislation.

While most students associate 0.08 grams as the minimum blood alcohol content, or BAC, level to be arrested for drunken driving, the level could increase to 0.10 grams Oct. 1 unless a bill recently introduced to the House passes.

In 2000, the federal government decided Michigan’s driving BAC level needed to be reduced to 0.08 grams by Oct. 1, 2003, or the state would lose construction funding. Michigan complied and lowered the BAC level to 0.08 grams but set the bill to expire in 10 years — this October.

State Rep. Andrea LaFontaine, R-Columbus Township, stepped in to keep the level at 0.08 grams.

“It just made sense — people should not be drinking and driving at all,” she said. “It makes sense to have this lower level.”

Olin Health Center’s alcohol, tobacco and other drug educator Rebecca Allen said even 0.08 grams is too high of a BAC level for driving. She said many other countries, such as France and Germany, have lower legal levels at about 0.05 grams.

“It would make sense for us to look at European (levels) and actually model our laws after theirs,” she said.

Allen said student drunken driving rates have declined steadily in the past decade.

The percentage of students who drink and drive dropped from about 46 percent in 2000 to almost 22 percent in 2012, according to MSU’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research.

From her experiences, Allen said she generally finds students are “pretty clued into” the consequences of drinking and driving.

The East Lansing Police Department reported 623 instances of drunken driving in 2011, according to its annual report.

East Lansing police Capt. Bill Mitchell said raising the allowed BAC level probably won’t change the number of drunken driving arrests. He said he doesn’t think Michigan lawmakers will let the level increase.

“That’s not something I see happening,” he said.

According to MSU police’s annual report, campus police reported 185 instances of operating a vehicle under the influence of liquor or drugs in 2011.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said campus police target drunken drivers to ensure the roads are safe.

“Hopefully by making that a priority, numbers will drop,” she said.

She said MSU police try to not just write tickets but also focus on educating students about the consequences of drunken driving.

Share and discuss “Bill might halt increase of blood alcohol content” on social media.