Andrew Singler remembered by friends and family as upbeat, funny

<p>Singler</p>

Singler

If Andrew Singler still were here, he would be comforting everyone else.

The nutritional sciences senior was pronounced dead at Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital after being stabbed in the early morning hours Saturday in Meridian Township, according to Meridian Township police.

A suspect is in custody and will be arraigned Monday on charges of homicide, according to Meridian Township police Sgt. Andrew McCready.

Despite the tragic circumstances surrounding his passing, friends said Singler would want them to remain positive.

“He would say ‘Let’s celebrate the good things,’” said Ryan Pinter, an MSU alumnus and friend of Singler. “There couldn’t be a person, in my mind, that was more deserving of a long, fulfilling life.”

Pinter, who was best friends with Singler in middle school and remained a good friend throughout college, said Singler had a “ridiculous” and contagious laugh, and said he was an avid soccer player, a gentleman to every girl he met and a good musician.

Singler was known as a passionate Detroit Red Wings fan, a passionate athlete and — most of all — a passionate friend.

“He had a lot of love to give,” friend and alumna Allison Grobbel said of Singler as she struggled to fight off tears. “It’s really sad that he is not here to give it anymore.”

A jokester, Singler has been able to make his family and friends laugh even as they try to cope with his death.

Friends and family couldn’t help but chuckle as they remembered his tendency to make inappropriate jokes and recite even obscure quotes from funny movies.

His mother, Janis Singler, especially remembered his friends and brothers joking around at Christmas — the last time the whole family was together. She said he leaves behind his parents, his three brothers, a sister, two sisters-in-law, three nephews, one niece and hundreds of friends.

“You could count on him to make everybody laugh and to tell a good story,” Janis Singler said while surrounded by family Sunday. “He was loved by all. He was very considerate. He would become friends with anyone.”

Grobbel said she always will remember how Andrew Singler would listen to any problem and often would take care of others and make sure they were okay when their group of friends went out during their freshman year.

Pinter said he and other friends are working to develop some sort of memorial service for Andrew Singler.

“There will be a hole in our family,” Janis Singler said. “So many people have lost a good friend.”

Share and discuss “Andrew Singler remembered by friends and family as upbeat, funny” on social media.