Thursday, December 18, 2014 | Last updated: 12:59am

The best in entertainment

Fall 2012

jrr_new_harrypotter02_111512

The MSU Quidditch team talks before a scrimmage on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012, at Wonders Hall. The team played a scrimmage for the Harry Potter world event put on by the Wonders Hall RAs. State News File Photo

Throughout the fall semester, the Features desk has covered a variety of fun, quirky events throughout Greater Lansing — almost too many to count. After much deliberation, we narrowed down a list, in no particular order, of our favorite festivals, performances and guest speakers that have become a part of the MSU experience this fall.

1. Battle of the Beards at The Loft
For some, beards are not a fashion statement, but rather a way of life. On Sept. 1, the Great American Fierce Beard Organization (GAFBO) hosted its first annual Great Lakes Regional Beard and Mustache Championship at The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing. The idea for the event started in 2002 when students and alumni grew their beards out for six months for a bet. The categories for the competition included natural beards, styled beards and sideburns.

2. Trans-Siberian Orchestra comes to Breslin
Onstage fire might not sound like a recipe for a successful show, but for Trans-Siberian Orchestra, it’s the norm. TSO performed at Breslin Center on Nov. 16, treating the audience to a display of pyrotechnics, laser shows and music. Their performance of “The Lost Christmas Eve” was their first new show in more than a decade.

3. Lowell and Baltierra of “Teen Mom” visit campus
On the evening of Nov. 29, students were introduced to the couple of “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom.” Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra, both 20, gave up their daughter for adoption in 2009 and now travel to high schools and colleges across the country to speak about adoption as an option for teen parents.

4. Harry Potter world in Wonders Hall
The walls of Wonders Hall held an interactive Harry Potter world on Nov. 15, which was open to all students. Festivities included stores on Diagon Alley, the Sorting Hat and an appearance from the MSU Quidditch team.

51920_gmz_new_gafbo01_090112o
By State News file photo / The State News
Jeff Langum, left, and Dan Roberts, right, raise their drinks at the GAFBO Great Lakes Regional BMC. Langum won first place in the Full Beard category, and Roberts took first place in the Sideburns/Muttonchops category. State News File Photo
kns_new_teenmom_1112912

"Teen Mom" stars Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra talk about their journey before, during and after the pregnancy of Lowell at age 16 on Thursday Nov. 29, 2012, at Anthony Hall. They have known each other for nine years and are engaged to be married. State News File Photo