RHA provides alternative fitness opportunities

Editor’s Note: The fitness classes are provided by Residence Education and Housing Services’ Live On and Be Fit program.

After the recent closing of residence hall fitness centers, the Residence Halls Association, or RHA, will provide students with a handful of alternative ways for students to stay active this school year.

The topic of fitness was one of the key points discussed during the RHA’s General Assembly meeting Wednesday. Starting this fall, free fitness classes will be offered to all students who live in any of the on-campus residence halls or in Spartan Village Apartments. Classes will cover a range of exercises including zumba, yoga and kickboxing.

Kathy Collins, director of Residence Education and Housing Services, said the fitness classes serve as a great way to motivate students to stay on campus — a decision she believes can ultimately improve students’ chances to graduate.

“Students who live on campus are much more likely to graduate,” she said. “Research will show students on campus have higher grades than those who live off campus.”

In addition to the classes, Collins reiterated to RHA members the plan MSU has to reopen the residence hall and Spartan Village Apartments fitness centers in January ­­— a topic that has been of concern for many individuals particularly in the graduate community.

Each of the fitness centers currently is set to be upgraded with new equipment, and defibrillators. Although Collins addressed the possibility for the fitness centers opening before next year, she stressed the importance of student safety.

“Some of the old (exercise) equipment was bought at Wal-Mart, so a change was needed,” she said. “Safety is very important to me.”

Collins also addressed the closing of Butterfield and Landon halls, which will begin in August.

Major additions planned for Butterfield, which is the last Brody Complex Neighborhood dorm to receive renovations, includes a meditation room and foot bath on the first floor.

Share and discuss “RHA provides alternative fitness opportunities” on social media.