Friday, October 31, 2014

Former ambassador speaks to MSU community, shares U.S.-India insight

nak_new_mulford01_092012

Former U.S. Ambassador to India David Mulford speaks to a crowd at on Thursday night, Sept. 20 2012, at the Kellogg Center. Mulford discussed this year’s One Book, One Community selection, Behind the Beautiful Forevers written by Katherine Boo. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Former United States Ambassador to India David Mulford spoke to the community on Thursday evening at Kellogg Center to share his experiences working overseas.

Mulford presented his speech, “Reaching New Heights: U.S.-India Relations in the 21st Century,” as part of the 2012 One Book, One Community program.

This year’s pick, “Behind the Beautiful Forevers,” by Katherine Boo, depicts the lives of poverty-stricken residents of a Mumbai slum, Annawadi.

Mulford, who served as an ambassador between 2003 and 2009, based his speech around his insight on U.S.-India relations and informing listeners about what’s happening outside of the U.S.

With MSU’s strong international presence, many students could relate to the subject material and themes discussed in this year’s book, Boo said in a previous interview.

“Because it’s such a diverse community, and because MSU has the tradition of students studying overseas, I think that it’s a university that’s understanding … (about) some of the issues that I talk about and the interconnections that exist now that didn’t exist 20, 30 years ago,” Boo said.