Assault on sophomore not hate crime

Journalism Sophomore Zachary Tennen rests in his Franklin Mich., home on Tuesday evening, Aug. 28, 2012 after having his jaw wired shut the previous day. Tennen is a victim of an alleged anti-Semeitic hate crime. Natalie Kolb/The State News
Journalism Sophomore Zachary Tennen rests in his Franklin Mich., home on Tuesday evening, Aug. 28, 2012 after having his jaw wired shut the previous day. Tennen is a victim of an alleged anti-Semeitic hate crime. Natalie Kolb/The State News —
Photo by Natalie Kolb | and Natalie Kolb The State News

Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III told The State News on Monday the assault on journalism sophomore Zachary Tennen in late August was not a hate crime, closing some dispute about whether or not Tennen was assaulted for being Jewish.

Dunnings has not issued an official warrant for the arrest of the suspect who assaulted Tennen, but he does support claims from the East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD, and the Anti-Defamation League, or ADL, that the assault was not a hate crime.

More than half a month ago, Tennen said in an interview he was attacked in front of about 20 people around 1:30 a.m. Aug. 26 in the 500 block of Spartan Avenue. The assault came after a conversation with party guests about his religion, Tennen said.

He was knocked unconscious and his jaw was broken, he said. Authorities found a piece of metal in his mouth after the assault that could have been a staple.

After extensive interviews, the ELPD said they did not believe the assault was a hate crime. The ADL also issued a statement saying they stand by the ELPD’s classification of the incident.

Capt. Jeff Murphy of the ELPD said Dunnings still could declare the incident a case of aggravated assault, a one-year misdemeanor, or assault and battery, a 90-day misdemeanor.

The ELPD has not arrested any suspects in the case, although they identified an 18-year-old Farmington Hills, Mich., resident as the likely assailant.

They cannot make an arrest until Dunnings issues a warrant.

Both Tennen and his father declined to comment on Dunnings’ statement to The State News, and the family’s attorney will make a statement once Dunnings issues a warrant.

Dunnings is unsure of when the warrant will be issued, he said.

“I spoke with a detective last week, and there are a few matters I need clarified before I make a final decision,” Dunnings said of potential charges, adding he will make a decision with more police information.

Although the incident received attention from national news outlets, including the Associated Press and The Huffington Post, international relations senior Alex Waldman, president of the Jewish Student Union, said he feels student interest has waned over time.

But regardless of whether or not the assault was a hate crime, Waldman said incidents such as this should not happen on MSU’s campus.

“Just because the police said it wasn’t hate doesn’t mean we should (be) erasing this subject; it should be a meaningful and educational discussion,” Waldman said.

Waldman said he has no reason to question the ELPD’s findings about the assault.

He also said many Jewish students and community members likely would agree the incident should be a motivator for dialogue regarding hate crimes.

“Any hate crime, or any potential hate crime, you never want to hear about it,” Waldman said. “But at the same time, it is disturbing … that would happen on a college campus.”

State News reporters Darcie Moran, Samantha Radecki and Rebecca Ryan contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Assault on sophomore not hate crime” on social media.