Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU softball swept by Indiana in three-game series, falls to 13-22 overall

<p>A Michigan State University softball player gets ready to swing as the ball comes in during the Spartans' matchup against Indiana Hoosiers at Secchia Stadium on April 5, 2024.</p>

A Michigan State University softball player gets ready to swing as the ball comes in during the Spartans' matchup against Indiana Hoosiers at Secchia Stadium on April 5, 2024.

The Michigan State softball team got swept in its three-game series against the Indiana Hoosiers this past weekend, losing 6-2, 12-4 and 7-2. With the three losses, the Spartans dropped to 13-22 on the season and 1-8 in conference play, winning only one of its last 10 games.

Game One

In the bottom of the first inning, Michigan State took an early 1-0 lead as Britain Beshears hit a single that brought a runner in.

However, in the top of the second inning, Indiana scored to tie the game back up at 1-1 after a home run from the first batter.

The game was tied at 1-1 for most of the game; neither team could capitalize and score, even when they had runners in scoring positions.

In the top of the eighth inning, Indiana came alive: the Hoosiers scored five runs to take a 6-1 lead. Sarah Stone, one of Indiana's powerhouses, hit a three-home run, her second homer of the game. 

After the three-run home run, Indiana was able to get more players on base and bring in two more runs, from a walk, a single and a couple stolen bases.

Michigan State was unable to come back from the five-run deficit, however, the Spartans did bring a run in from two hits. The Spartans ultimately fell to the Hoosiers 6-2 in game one of the three-game series.

msusoftballvsindiana_04052024_zd_11

Game Two

Though the Spartans hit three home runs in an offense-heavy game, the Hoosiers were able to take the win in game two, defeating Michigan State 12-4. Beshears and senior Jenae Wash both hit a home run for Michigan State, but it was not enough for Indiana's 12 runs and 13 hits.

Pitcher Madison Taylor started for the Spartans on the mound, but was quickly relieved after two innings after giving up four hits and four runs. 

After Taylor, Faith Guidry was on the mound for two innings. She gave up three hits and four runs, being unable to stop the bleeding and great offense from Indiana.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Spartans were able to score three runs to cut the deficit to 8-4, but in the top of the seventh inning, Indiana was able to score another four runs, reaching a lead that the Spartans weren't able to come back from.

msusoftballvsindiana_04052024_zd_14

Game Three

An early lead from Indiana – after scoring four runs in the top of the first inning – helped the Hoosiers cruise past the Spartans in the final game of the series. The Spartans lost 7-2 and weren't able to ever tie the game up, as Michigan State scored just one run in the bottom of the first inning and one run in the bottom of the sixth inning. 

The series was a let down for the Spartans as they were hoping to get at least one win from the three games they played at home. Head coach Sharonda McDonald-Kelley said, post-game, that although the losses were disappointing, Michigan State will be looking forward to future series to try and get some momentum and win games. 

"Obviously we didn’t come out on top of these games," McDonald-Kelley said. "But we have more to give, which is frustrating but it’s something to be hopeful about."

"We’re going to go back to work and figure out what we do next. We play Michigan on Tuesday, and they’re a tough team, but it’s at home, it’s a rivalry, and it should be fun, so it’s time to get back to work."

msusoftballvsindiana_04052024_zd_13

The Spartans, on a four-game losing streak, will play their in-state rival, the University of Michigan Wolverines, at home on Tuesday, April 9 at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU softball swept by Indiana in three-game series, falls to 13-22 overall” on social media.