Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU Starbucks 'Campus Collection' mugs are in high demand

<p>The MSU “Been There” series mug in collaboration with Starbucks available at the 1855 Starbucks on Jan. 19, 2024. </p>

The MSU “Been There” series mug in collaboration with Starbucks available at the 1855 Starbucks on Jan. 19, 2024.

Starbucks is selling an increasingly popular Michigan State University-themed coffee mug at campus locations and most stores close to East Lansing. The mug, complete with MSU's most recognizable buildings and landmarks, is in high demand, according to Starbucks Barista Kelsey Pink.

"We got four mugs the first time and they sold out right away," Pink said. "We've been asked about them every week. People know Friday is the chance we'll get them, so we get calls on Thursday night and we'll get calls all day tomorrow. We've been getting it for weeks."

The Grand River Ave. Starbucks where Pink works isn't the only location to witness this level of popularity. Environmental biology and microbiology sophomore Morgan Bresson is a barista at the 1855 Place location. Bresson said a market for the cup existed well before it was even available in stores.

"The first time we got an order, we only got ten to fifteen, and we didn't know if they'd do well," Bresson said. "Since then, we've had to get 100 each week. We got calls last year about these mugs and we didn't even have them yet."

starbucksmug_01192024_zd_1

Criminal justice junior Emma Schaffran said she would buy the mug herself, and attributes its appeal to the unique design and roundup of sacred Spartan staples like the Beaumont Tower, Spartan Stadium and MSU Dairy Store.

"I've never seen a cup like that," Schaffran said. "I know (Starbucks) sells Michigan mugs, but I've never seen a Michigan State one, so I'm not shocked that it's sold out. I like the design and I think they included a lot of monumental things."

The mug marks MSU joining The Pennsylvania State University, University of Notre Dame and other universities featured in Starbucks' Campus Collection "Been There" series. Bresson voiced appreciation for "a big company like Starbucks making something strictly for MSU."

starbucksmug_01192024_zd_4

Similarly, environmental geography and geographic information science sophomore Wyatt Radosevich said the collaboration makes sense.

"I think it's a good idea because a lot of students use Starbucks," Radosevich said.

Pink, who "scooped up" the mug, also works as a fiscal officer for the College of Communication, Arts and Sciences. She frequently receives comments about it and believes it will continue to be a highly sought-after piece, especially in the Spartan community.

"It's always a conversation starter," Pink said. "I have it at my office at work and every time I go into meetings, people are always talking about how much they love my mug. We look at all the pictures on it and it's really unique. I work with Spartans so obviously they all love it."

libstarbs-11724-ar01

Share and discuss “MSU Starbucks 'Campus Collection' mugs are in high demand” on social media.