Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Quarterback conversations remain at forefront following MSU Football's first official practice

Redshirt junior quarterback Noah Kim (14) throws the ball during the MSU football spring open practice, held at Spartan Stadium on April 15, 2023.

Even prior to the departure of former starting quarterback Payton Thorne to Auburn, the main storyline this offseason for Michigan State Football has been all about the quarterback battle.

Thursday morning marked the Spartans' first official practice of the 2023 season and the clash for the starting position is alive and well—mainly between redshirt junior Noah Kim, redshirt freshman Katin Houser and freshman Sam Leavitt.

“What I saw today was a really good competition. I was impressed with those guys,” Head Coach Mel Tucker said. “I mean Jay Johnson is an excellent coach. He's a very good teacher. I have seen him bring Noah along, Katin along and Sam has even gotten better since he’s been here a short period of time … So you know, very good competition. A lot of good balls being thrown, really good communication, guys on the same page, the formation, the checks—it was good work out of that group.”

The starting quarterback conversation is not a new one for Kim or Houser, but throughout the offseason, both players have been focusing on developing their game as well as their leadership.

“I'm trying to get better at leading every single day, and I think that’s one thing Payton did well, and something I could take away from his game,” Kim said. “If I could do some of the things he did, and take bits and pieces from other people around me—like Trey Mosley, he's a great leader on his team ... I think it's going to better ourselves.”

Kim is the more experienced player of the three vying for the top spot. The redshirt junior is older and played 38 snaps last season in comparison to the six snaps Houser saw, but that does not determine whether or not the redshirt freshman is up for the task.

“I feel like I'm more seasoned than I've ever been. I feel like I'm more confident, more poised than I've ever been,” Houser said. “I feel like I'm in a prime position to go take that spot. I feel like I'm ready to do that.”

Tucker has not yet revealed any inclination as to which of his players he sees fit for the task and it is likely that the decision could run down to the wire—possibly even after the season has started.

“I feel like the biggest thing is just to do what the coaches ask you,” Houser said. “I feel like the coaches have a specific plan for what they want to do. They want you to execute, they want you to put the ball in the playmakers' hands and I feel like I can do that. So that's the key for winning the job for sure.”

Share and discuss “Quarterback conversations remain at forefront following MSU Football's first official practice” on social media.