Three more shooting victims file intent to sue Michigan State University

Flowers hang on the door of the Union on Feb. 20, 2023. The day before, 'Spartan Sunday' was held on campus where students and the community came together to take back the campus after a mass shooting took place on Feb. 13, 2023.

Attorneys representing the families of Arielle Anderson and Brian Fraser, who were killed in the Feb. 13 mass shooting, as well as attorneys representing Hanyang Tao, a previously unnamed survivor of the shooting, filed Friday an intent to sue Michigan State University.

The claims allege MSU’s negligence regarding safety conditions before the shooting, including the lack of classroom doors that could be locked from the inside, the lack of a proper emergency alert system/public address speakers and the lack of an armed security officer, metal detectors or security stations, according to court documents obtained by WLNS.

The filings also state that the university “failed to protect students” despite complaints filed that alerted MSU of these potential hazards

Fraser was killed in the first-floor dining area of the MSU Union, according to police. Anderson and Alexandria Verner were both killed in Berkey Hall Room 114.

The filings were made following similar claims by attorneys representing the family of Verner, who was killed in the mass shooting, and survivors Nate Statly, Troy Forbush and Yukai “John” Hao

The notices have all been filed in the Michigan Court of Claims. The filing is not a lawsuit but is a requirement when initiating lawsuits against public institutions.

Michigan State University spokesperson Dan Olsen said that the university is committed to continuing conversations with those impacted by the shooting

“Many lives among our community have been profoundly impacted by the violence our campus experienced,” Olsen said. “We are heartbroken and sorry for the tragic loss of life and each person harmed by senseless gun violence. MSU has been engaged in conversations with the families of those we lost and those injured to identify ways to provide ongoing support and we are committed to keeping those lines of communication open.” 

Attorney Ven Jonson, who is representing Tao and the families of Anderson and Fraser, was unavailable to comment at the time of publication

Share and discuss “Three more shooting victims file intent to sue Michigan State University ” on social media.