ASMSU hopes to keep momentum in spring semester

<p>President Jo Kovach addresses the gathering assembly during the beginning of the ASMSU meeting on Dec. 8, 2022. The meeting was held at the International Center. </p>

President Jo Kovach addresses the gathering assembly during the beginning of the ASMSU meeting on Dec. 8, 2022. The meeting was held at the International Center.

Photo by Olivia Hans | The State News

Although spring semester can be seen as the start of the end for the academic year, ASMSU is ready to kick things into action and continue the momentum of its accomplishments from fall semester.

“We actually left off in a really good place," ASMSU public relations manager Brandi Stover said. “I think we everybody here is really dedicated to continuing to move our advocacy forward. And that's really exciting to see as somebody who was not involved previously in this work that there are so many dedicated people on campus to making this a better place for students.”  

ASMSU defines itself as the undergraduate student government. Its main goal is to help represent students and advocate for issues that as well as try and improve student life at Michigan State.

Its members come from different backgrounds and represent a part of the student body in some way. This has allowed for many different bills ranging from donor accountability to issues in certain sports programs.

“I think the semester went well," APASO representative Connor Le said. "We passed a lot of advocacy that we've been fighting for for a few years. So one of the big ones was donor accountability policies.”

ASMSU isn’t just about passing bills, though. ASMSU Chief of Staff Jack Harrison said this week's service events are exciting opportunities.

He said he has high hopes based on the success of the fall semester. Some bills he'd like to see brought up are parking accessibility and lighting on crosswalks.

“As an organization, I think we're all just really proud of the advocacy we're doing for students," Stover said. "I can't really ever stop highlighting that enough. We're really proud to be able to serve the students in the capacity that we are. And the fact that the student body has trust in us to represent them at the university level.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU hopes to keep momentum in spring semester” on social media.